is there anyway to replace the fluid in a compass

dwolfdwolf Norfork lake,Gamilia Ar.Posts: 157Member ✭✭
 Is there anyway to replace the fluid in a compass?while my boat was being worked on the compass apparently was damaged and all the liquid has leaked out.  It's a dash mounted compass on my  Captiva 232 or is the compass ruined 

Answers

• skennellyskennelly ChicagoPosts: 781Member ✭✭✭
    You can buy compass oil..not sure how to fill it though
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • WillhoundWillhound Lake Simcoe, Ontario, CanadaPosts: 964Member ✭✭✭
    If the fluid leaked out from damage, it is likely not fixable, unless it's something small like a seal on a fill screw or something. But if the glass was hit hard enough to drain all the fluid, I'd start shopping for a new one.
    "Knot Quite Shore"
  • cettialpha6cettialpha6 Posts: 30Member ✭✭
    edited March 9
    If this compass has a diode lamp for lumination, I would not risk trying to fix it. A new one is +/- $125. The compass is wired in series with the starting circuit and can be a heII to troubleshoot if it shorts out. I've never had a use for ours because of gps, cell phones and vhf radio. My compass has become an ornament on the dash.
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • rasburyrasbury Sanford, FLPosts: 4,085Member ✭✭✭✭
    Mine suffered the same fate- it's the expensive one, I looked at replacing it and it was like a grand so it just sits there on the dash...low priority but I really do want to have one if I get back to the gulf. Realistically, I am never in a body of water that I can't see the shore somewhere. 
  • kordokordo Posts: 39Member
    I believe you can use mineral, available from any drug store.
  • Robs_232Robs_232 Posts: 192Member ✭✭✭
    My compass leaked and wasn't accurate. Bought a cheap replacement as filler and bought a Lowrance with GPS with Navionics map. Money better spent.
  • bry1429bry1429 Southern Lake Michigan Posts: 224Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 11
    My compass lost all liquid last summer. Its not worth spending time or money  filling an old leaky compass .
    Purchase a new one.
    Post edited by bry1429 on
  • skennellyskennelly ChicagoPosts: 781Member ✭✭✭
    I read an article that said not to use mineral oil....I'll try and find it
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • luvinlifeluvinlife Portsmouth RIPosts: 216Member ✭✭✭
    Got a new Richie for under 100 dollars. It was a little smaller but fit the hole and is lighted. 
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Holland, MichiganPosts: 4,074Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Likely no way to refill. Been there. 

FYI: if you use your phone compass to try and true your boat compass: make sure the phone is NOT using the cell towers (check your phone settings). It can be WAY off or erratic.  Been there too. lol

2003 342FV "Black Diamond", 350 MAG MPI, 20P 4x4 Props, PC BYC, Holland, MI