OEM Starter or Aftermarket?

jme097jme097 Algonac, MIPosts: 1,103Member ✭✭✭
In the spring as part of my maintenance I am going to replace the starter as it is 11 years old. I found the OEM p/n from Merc's part catalog based off my engine serial number. I searched for it on Amazon and a couple aftermarket replacements came up and one had awesome reviews. Was curious if anyone has had any luck with any of these at all? I already planned on spending the $220 for an OEM one but figured it was worth a shot to see if anyone on here has used these before with any luck.

Boat Name: Knot A Worry
2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3

Comments

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Annapolis, MDPosts: 3,941Member, Moderator mod
    That's a crazy good price!  Is it rebuilt?  So, you are just replacing because of age?  Gosh, I feel I do pretty good maintenance on my boat, but not sure I'd just replace my perfectly good starter.  (unless it was showing rust or causing problems)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 3,043Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would go with OEM or Sierra. Not sure what brand that is, but it is a good price.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA
    Go Steelers!!!
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Saint Clair Shores,MIPosts: 847Member ✭✭✭
    Oem or Sierra for sure
    i purchased lots of “ discounted starters and found out why in a hurry” specially when it’s 90 deg and I am laying in the engine compartment replacing it with oem lol.
    i don’t remember anyone replacing a starter for pm reasons but hey to each is own.

• jme097jme097 Algonac, MIPosts: 1,103Member ✭✭✭
    Just replacing because of age. I replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor last year. Figured I might as well do the starter as well to keep everything uniform. 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Cape Coral, FLPosts: 5,468Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why don't you have the old one rebuilt and keep for a spare?
    Ye there are bunch of local places that do rebuilds 
  • aero3113aero3113 Long Island, NYPosts: 1,440Member ✭✭✭✭
    This is the one I bought when I replaced my starter.

Sierra International 18-5913 Delco Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction 2-Bolt Starter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AZ7CG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_wK.uAb334DVD7
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Pawcatuck river CTPosts: 1,078Member ✭✭✭
    Yup the Sierra and keep the old one on the boat for s spare.
    2005 Rinker FV342  boat name "Ten Forty"  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    I would just have the old one overhauled. 
  • rasburyrasbury Sanford, FLPosts: 3,795Member ✭✭✭✭
    I had mine rebuilt when I first got my boat- some salty old fellow that just works on marine starters, alternators and generators. Have had 0 problems and as I recall 100 bucks.
  • randy56randy56 Newburgh INPosts: 1,866Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bought several over the years at NAPA auto parts. also had them rebuilt, no problems, with either.  is it giving your trouble? That starter should last as long as you own the boat. your's being a 2008. The ones I replaced were on old boats. Now with that said, watch mine go out. Water is your only enemy.  
    Boat Name : Knot My Prolem

2003 - 270
  • rasburyrasbury Sanford, FLPosts: 3,795Member ✭✭✭✭
    Mine must have gotten wet....which would make one worry but it would not take much....NAPA? don't you have to have a sealed marine one to avoid a k boom!?
    YES
    Yep starters 
    alternators 
    fuel pumps all have to be marine
  • randy56randy56 Newburgh INPosts: 1,866Member ✭✭✭✭
    Napa can order them, not the off the shelf car starters.
    Boat Name : Knot My Prolem

2003 - 270