Orange is the new "Black"

WillhoundWillhound Lake Simcoe, Ontario, CanadaPosts: 695Member ✭✭✭
Just couldn't get my head around spending $150 on a Big Orange filter. Built this for $22.
Complete with pressure relief valve for pump outs. Activated carbon pellets for an aquarium stuffed inside a mesh sac fills the inside. Off season project for installation next spring. 
"Knot Quite Shore"

Comments

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Bay Village & Marblehead, OH.Posts: 1,346Member ✭✭✭✭
    Like it! I have the same home made set up. Been planning to a homedepot pressure release valve but wasn’t sure how. Great pic, thanks!
    Wine-N-Down -- 2006 342 Express Cruiser

• WillhoundWillhound Lake Simcoe, Ontario, CanadaPosts: 695Member ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking of popping another relief valve directly into the top of the tank also just for good measure. I could see signs this year that my tank was flexing from the pump outs at our marina. Don't know why they aren't mandated.
    "Knot Quite Shore"
  • Michael TMichael T Posts: 5,974Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Willhound, awesome filter mod! I would definitely put a holding tank safety relief valve on the top of your tank. I think they are about $40 and imo about the best 40 you can spend. Takes about 10 minutes to install. You are correct that the Big O is expensive but they are very effective and have an awesome tank pump-out safety valve incorporated into them (also Canadian made eh?)
    I've seen a link on here with the Dometic 3" Tanksaver vent. Having a devil of a time finding a Canadian supplier. Thinking that if I have to I'll either just install a second relief valve like the one on my filter contraption directly into the tank, or maybe even a plumbing cheater vent like this one. Thoughts?

"Knot Quite Shore"
  • icoulthaicoultha Niskayuna NYPosts: 403Member ✭✭✭
    @Willhound excellent job. Are you willing to allow plagiarizing by posting your parts list?

Regards,

Ian

Parts were dependant on what my local hardware had. I used 2" ABS pipe to get more carbon into the larger diameter, but then had to bush it down to 1 1/2" to get the adapters and union. Also, I may have to switch out the poly slip adapters as I think the vent line on the Rinker is 5/8" and these are only 1/2". To get 5/8" I'll likely have to go to brass, so it will add a couple of bucks to the cost.

1 Foot Length 2" ABS Pipe
    1 small piece 1 1/2" ABS Pipe to use in adapting union
    3 - 1 1/2"x 1/2" Dishwasher threaded bushings
    2 - 1/2"MPTx5/8" Hose adapters
    1 - 2"x2"x 11/2" Reducing Tee
    1 - 1 1/2" ABS Union (to get it apart to change carbon)
    1-  1 1/2"x2" Increaser
    1 - Watts Pressure Relief Valve, 1/2" thread 
    ABS Glue

"Knot Quite Shore"
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Annapolis, MDPosts: 3,888Member, Moderator mod
    Yes, I brass NPT for the 5/8" line on mine.  I drilled a hole in the screw on end caps that was just small enough to allow me to thread them in.  Also put a little epoxy around them.  I had thought about a relief valve, but instead went with the one MT mentioned in one of his older posts that went in the top of the tank.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

I’ve had on my list to add the tank valve that MT reccomends but getting to the top of the tank on a 342 is no easy task. Also the valves are not easy to find online. Would like to go the in line route that is pictured in this thread. 

@Liberty44140 you could easily tee a relief valve like I've shown directly into the line if you don't want to build the whole filter contraption. It just has a 1/2" MPT on it.
    "Knot Quite Shore"
    edited December 4
    :) That’s the plan

• Michael TMichael T Posts: 5,974Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    @willhound there were several suppliers that my marina could get the tanksaver valve from. I think Hutchings and C&C?
  • StodgeStodge Lake St. ClairPosts: 1,380Member ✭✭✭
    I'm happy with my big orange, but I need to replace the vent fittings.  The open flush vent holes let rain water and spiders in.  I have some screened vents on the list (with a few dozen other things).  The by-pass valve in the BO was a big selling point.  I made a home-brew filter and was never happy with it.  Nice work @Willhound

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX