Alexandria Parade of Lights

LaReaLaRea Alexandria VirginiaPosts: 2,117Member ✭✭✭✭✭
Looks like the Admiral and I are entering the Alexandria / DC Parade of Lights this year.  The weather is warm, and I've been so work-busy that I haven't hauled the boat yet, so why not.  

It's a pretty sweet deal.  The entry fee is zero dollars.  Every captain gets a free slip and $100 in gift certificates.  Well-decorated boats can win Fabulous Prizes.  (Judging from the amazing photos I've seen, I will not be a serious contender.)  Our boat's theme will be "Captain spent $150 on Walmart holiday lights."  It's sure to be a crowd favorite.  Apparently, there will be spectators lined up on the shore.  

Comments

• randy56randy56 Newburgh INPosts: 1,868Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like fun, hope you have a friend on shore to take pic's. 
    Boat Name : Knot My Prolem

2003 - 270
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Pawcatuck river CTPosts: 1,078Member ✭✭✭
    Your already a winner your in a parade. o:)
    2005 Rinker FV342  boat name "Ten Forty"  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Annapolis, MDPosts: 3,943Member, Moderator mod
    Sounds like a great time!  I've done it the last 2 seasons for Annapolis (on a buddies boat, but all of my lights and then I winterized - so might as well been my boat).  I'll sure miss it this year.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• rkinrossrkinross Pittsburgh PAPosts: 35Member ✭✭
    What a great idea.  Should be fun.  How about synchronized lights to Jimmy Buffett music?   https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Christmas-Lights-Flash-to-Music   

• rasburyrasbury Sanford, FLPosts: 3,797Member ✭✭✭✭
    We have them several places here in FL- we usually go somewhere to catch at least one of them- some of them really go way out on them for sure.
  • LaReaLaRea Alexandria VirginiaPosts: 2,117Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    A week isn't really enough time to do it properly, so I'm not expecting a big "oooooh" from the crowd.  But with this warm weather, I couldn't pass it up!  
    Absolutely go for it- I'm sure you will have gun and maybe motivate you for more next year!
  • 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Washington, DCPosts: 1,098Member ✭✭✭
    Thats awesome @LaRea.  I may just see you there.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    Cool, let me know!  We'll be at Alexandria Saturday night.
    I talked to the family last night and I think we are a go! Ill shoot you a PM and see if we can connect. 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    hmmm, parade of lights or Ohio State/Wisconsin football game.   You got me thinking!

We thought about doubling up with the DC parade, but decided to only do Alexandria.  

The captain's meeting last night made my Admiral nervous.  She's going out this afternoon to buy more lights!  I guess I'll have some engineering projects to tackle before Saturday.

Apparently, this parade is a pretty big deal.  Over 50 boats this year! 
    @Dream_Inn come on! 

@LaRea If I know you correctly from your extensive work you have done, I wouldnt expect anything but top notch.  

Thats exciting that its a big deal.  I like the Annapolis show as we can sit at Pussers and have a drink.  I wonder if there is a spot we can do the same in Alexandria?  I know there is Chart House but no outdoor seating.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    Surprisingly, there aren't many restaurants with a water view right at the foot of King Street.  Chart House does have some outdoor seating, so give them a call!  There's also Vola's (http://volasdockside.com/) which might have a decent view. 
  • onislandtimeonislandtime MarylandPosts: 142Member ✭✭
    One of our boats (Beach House) went up and represented Goose Bay Marina. Won "Spirit of America" Category
    Their boat was amazing!  We were on the same dock at Alexandria.  

That was such a blast!  Best guess, there must have been at least 10,000 people watching.  They were jammed along every inch of shoreline.  The weather was perfect all day, and the entire town was packed for the Scottish parade in the afternoon, so everybody stayed for the boat parade.  

Here's a pic taken as we passed the judging boat.  Up on the foredeck, you can see the Admiral dressed as Frosty the Snowman, dancing and hamming it up for the crowd.  The crowd loved it!  Although it's tough to see in this photo, I had two outriggers hanging off the side with lights projecting down onto the hull and the side of the hardtop.  We didn't win a prize, but we had a hella good time!

Another shot of the stern after we were back at the dock, greeting the throngs of people who were walking around.  They were all thanking the captains and having a great time.  So much fun!

@LaRea - those are some great looking pictures!  You really did a fantastic job lighting everything up!  Love the snowman! 

We were a solid middle-of-the-pack entry ... better than some, but absolutely nowhere close to the best ones.  Next year, if I start planning on September 1 instead of December 1, maybe we can be a contender!

Let me just say - the boats that won prizes really, REALLY earned them!  
    Very elaborate. That took some thought and time. How did you see to drive, looks cool, nice job.

2003 - 270
    The stuff on the foredeck is mostly on the port side, so I could see pretty well except when Frosty started dancing in front of me!  I was glad to have a good radar.

The Best in Show (friends of ours) set up a karaoke bar on their beautiful Sovran, complete with a huge screen showing the song lyrics ... completely over the top!

See Photos Of The Alexandria Holiday Boat Parade Winners

Here's a better shot of Beach House:

• rkinrossrkinross Pittsburgh PAPosts: 35Member ✭✭
    @LaRea I liked your snowman design better than the boat that won!!!  Nice color scheme matching blue and white lights to the blue and white Rinker.  It also looked more like a Christmas theme with Frosty.
    Thanks!  I'll relay the compliment to Admiral Frosty, who was the designer giving orders while I took care of the mechanical and electrical engineering.  I wish I had a better photo.
    Similar photo as yours but a little better profile.  I know the admiral and I were impressed!  

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    Very impressive. Lot's of thought and time went into that. 

2003 - 270
    I know it was my favorite but I might be a little biased 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    That's cool...we have threatened now for 3 years to be in our little city parade but something always comes up- great job and I'm sure all had a good time!
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 3,043Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA
    Go Steelers!!!
  • onislandtimeonislandtime MarylandPosts: 142Member ✭✭
    LaRea I wish I had known you were there, I would like to introduce myself