Can't remove mirror between forward berth and anchor locker

SpyderwebSpyderweb Syracuse, NYPosts: 20Member ✭✭
Looking to close on 2008 330 EC soon.  In checking boat over (numerous times) neither I nor my wife, nor son-in-law nor surveyor can remove this mirror.  Seems to be super velcro'd on.  We pull the single knob at the bottom till mirror starts to bow to the point we're afraid it's going to break.  Afraid to slide something into edge for fear of cracking/chipping it.  Is there a trick to this?

Paul

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Cape Coral, FLPosts: 5,218Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to remove the vinyl padded cover that surrounds the mirror first. The mirror is held on by velcro and its plastic
  • SpyderwebSpyderweb Syracuse, NYPosts: 20Member ✭✭
    Would that just be the bottom trim piece?
    Spyderweb said:
    Would that just be the bottom trim piece?
    Can you post a picture?
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 2,914Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is high strength velcro, so it takes some tugging to remove the mirror.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA
    Go Steelers!!!
    Despite taking numerous pictures, I have none that show that.  Nor are there any in the 2008 brochure that show it.  

"It is high strength velcro, so it takes some tugging to remove the mirror."
    It's high strength velcro, but is it a high strength mirror?
  • rasburyrasbury Sanford, FLPosts: 3,593Member ✭✭✭✭
    It is...
    If you can get the center out enough to get a finger under it, slowly slide your finger to the right or left. It will start to release the velcro. Once that happens, you will be able to get the mirror off. The mirror is plastic, so it will have some give.
    Go Steelers!!!
    Here is a photo, but it is way in the back...

Go Steelers!!!
    Well that doesn't help any
  • WillhoundWillhound Lake Simcoe, Ontario, CanadaPosts: 611Member ✭✭✭
    Well that doesn't help any
    On a positive note, nice interior pic and sweet looking boat!
    "Knot Quite Shore"
    Cableguy, Can't pull it out enough to get a finger under it, but I think maybe I could get a piece of thin flexible lexan bent at a 90 degree and work that back and forth. If it ever comes off, I need to "neutralize" some of that  velcro, perhaps put a little cotton on it.
  • WillhoundWillhound Lake Simcoe, Ontario, CanadaPosts: 611Member ✭✭✭
    @Spyderweb, just for kicks, take another look. On my 270 the mirror doesn't come off. The anchor locker is accessed by removing the upholstered bolster below the mirror. Can anyone confirm that your access on the 330 is the mirror? Maybe even a panel under the mattress?
    "Knot Quite Shore"
  • icoulthaicoultha Niskayuna NYPosts: 347Member ✭✭✭
    On my 310 the mirror is hinged to expose an access cap.

Regards,

Ian

342s are behind the mirror
  • DanD2DanD2 Posts: 579Member ✭✭✭
    If it's like my 324, the top vinyl piece that goes stb to port needs to be removed. I have a video on here somewhere that shows how to take it out. If you need it I'll find it for you.....just don't have time right now.
    2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • BizmarkBizmark Posts: 47Member ✭✭
    We have a 2006 320 FV and the anchor locker access is under the mirror behind the upholstered pie shaped panel. It is fastened in place by Velcro, the mirror is not removable.
    This video is for something else but it shows what is needed to do to get mirror out.

WOW!  What a procedure.  The 330 does not look like that shown in the video.  And the mirror has a knob on the bottom of it, as if to use to pull it off.  At which point I am hoping for an opening nearly the size of the mirror.  With much easier access to windlass and nav lights.  At least that's how my current boat is setup.  Expect to visit the 330 again in next day or 2.  Will take pictures.
    Got to 330 today and grabbed picture of mirror.  Then got lucky and slowly, meticulously got the mirror off.  Held on completely by excesses of velcro.  Mirror comes out and behind it is similar to the above video.  There's a small circular access panel that opens to the anchor locker. 

Glad you got it open. It is a little too much velcro. I would rather have too much than too little and the mirror fall off every time you cross a wake.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Posts: 359Member ✭✭✭
    So, is the little round deck plate used to access the anchor rode for managing tangles? Seems rather complicated for such a task if it becomes necessary. I see other boat brands have access from the top side next to the windlass for managing tangles.
    I'd say the deck plate (6"?) is for managing tangles and possibly accessing underside of nav lights (but that's tight).  My 285 Bayliner has a mirror roughly half the size of the one pictured above, but when removed gives an opening the size of the mirror.  That's what I was expecting. 

I did remove some of the velcro so next time removal shouldn't be so traumatic.
    That deck plate is pretty useless. I cut out a good sized hole behind my mirror and it sure has come in handy.
    Hadn't thought of that, but that's a pretty good (and simple) way to go.
  • DirtythirtyDirtythirty Delran, NJPosts: 237Member ✭✭✭
    You seriously have to work to remove it...the Velcro is tight
    It's really good velcro. After finally getting the mirror off, I removed 1 of 2 rows of velcro across the bottom of the mirror.  There was then a strip going up each side, and I removed about 4-5" from the top of each strip.  Next time in should be a little easier.

Paul
  • rasburyrasbury Sanford, FLPosts: 3,593Member ✭✭✭✭
    Did the same on mine...