Painted outdrive 2

laureniac1laureniac1 Kirtland ohioPosts: 148Member ✭✭
So I decided to bottom paint my outdrive on my 270. I was originally going to use Hydrocot Eco because it contained no copper and was the best Hydrocot product for outdrive. However I took the suggestion of my mechanic and Wildboating to use Interlux 33 in the spray can. Today I prepped  the drive my a light sanding and used the Primo Interlux primer. It literally took 2 minutes using the spray can. Next week I post a picture after I spray on the Interlux 33. Believe me using the spray can if the way to go!!

Comments

• laureniac1laureniac1 Kirtland ohioPosts: 148Member ✭✭
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Bay Village & Marblehead, OH.Posts: 1,263Member ✭✭✭
    Looks nice! Agree, I was dreading painting the drive and spraying is super easy! 
    Wine-N-Down -- 2006 342 Express Cruiser

• randy56randy56 Newburgh INPosts: 1,679Member ✭✭✭✭
    Two thumbs up!
    Boat Name : Knot My Prolem

2003 - 270
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Annapolis MDPosts: 299Member ✭✭✭
    I used the same stuff on mine. But just used spray to get to the hard to reach places. Otherwise used a qt and brushed it on.  This stuff works great.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
    Painted the outdrive today with the Black Trilux 33! Came out great! Again it took maybe 3 minutes with the spray can. I think I will add a second coat in spring before a launch. Hopefully I'll be able to tell next year of how well it works because I have the grey Primocon under 2 coats of Black Trilux 33!
  • skennellyskennelly ChicagoPosts: 616Member ✭✭✭
    Nice!
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    Looks great! My bearing carrier looked the same. Painted it with some epoxy to seal it and then trilux over the epoxy. Now you just need some pretty new anodes in the spring and she will be ready to roll!

• bry1429bry1429 Southern Lake MichiganPosts: 188Member ✭✭✭
    Great work, Looks new ! Finish off your professional looking job with new decals. I put a set of these on my old B2 and they held up great.

Look at this on eBay
    Bry, did you adhere logos to trilux? I had thought about decals after i painted my drives but assumed that decals would never adhere to bottom paint. If they did that would be great!

Love it! That’s a good question would decals stick to trilux? 
  • bry1429bry1429 Southern Lake MichiganPosts: 188Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 10
    Oh, didn't think of that. I am not sure if it would hold  onto bottom paint and for how long if it did . It would look great on blocks in storage  :D   
    I used Phantom Black enamel after self etching primer. These off brand are fairly inexpensive($15)they are great quality.  Mercruiser brand is almost $60
    I also used the Phantom Black enamel and primer. Sand it down last year and thought I would get a few years out of it. However when I pulled it out a few weeks ago the Phantom Black was full and could see the primer in some spots. That’s why I went with the Trilux this year, hopefully it will last a little longer. I will repost next fall with results 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Annapolis, MDPosts: 3,794Member, Moderator mod
    I use the phantom black for touching up the skeg each year.  But I also keep mine on the lift, so I could see how you'd need something like Trilux if left in the water all the time.  I may have to look into the off brand labels as I have one that is starting to peel a bit.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express