Custom TV mount for the cockpit on a FV270

04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Lexington, KYPosts: 17Member ✭✭
So I've been checking out everyone's TV mounts for the cockpit on the bigger Rinker's (31, 33 ft, etc) and it seems a lot of mounts are on the arch which is perfect as far as viewing, but posed a challenge on the 270 due to no speaker hole to gain access inside to support the mount. I though about mounting a flush mount rod holder/flag holder near the trash bin, but then a better idea (in my mind at least) hit me! Using the sink drain as a mount that could hold a pole and be totally removed for storage and look stock with no extra holes/mounts left visible. The TV has a quick release mount on it so it came off and hang back on the swing bracket in the cabin. Here is what my dad and I came up with.

The bent black bar is high enough that you can open the trash bin lid to throw stuff away and also high enough that you can swivel it over the seat backrest to point the TV out the back of the boat to view while on the dock. I ran an AUX cord to the radio so I can listen to the TV audio on the boat stereo system. I still have to powder coat the mount black as it just has a mesh hose cover on it now. All in all really happy with the ability to move the TV from the cabin to the cockpit with minimal effort, makes college football Saturdays and NFL Sunday's on the boat that much better!

Comments

• tk1973tk1973 Lake SimcoePosts: 62Member ✭✭
    That's a great idea... looks really good. 

How did did you make it? 
  • TrashmanTrashman New Jersey/ philaPosts: 370Member ✭✭✭
    .... Very clever!!  The only concern would be the brittle plastic drain elb but I really like utilizing what exists rather than a mount. 
  • randy56randy56 Newburgh INPosts: 1,756Member ✭✭✭✭
    Slick!
    Boat Name : Knot My Prolem

2003 - 270
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Annapolis, MDPosts: 3,850Member, Moderator mod
    I love it!  I was missing a TV for college football up top this weekend on the boat!  My current one on the hardtop is just DVD player and thought about going the way DirtyThirty did, but wasn't sure I needed another TV.  This has me at least thinking of some other ideas.  Thanks!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Michael TMichael T Posts: 5,941Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    .....and as we all know much of the TV programming is down the drain anyway.....at least this way you are prepared!
  • 04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Lexington, KYPosts: 17Member ✭✭
    Trashman said:
    .... Very clever!!  The only concern would be the brittle plastic drain elb but I really like utilizing what exists rather than a mount. 
    It doesn't go all the way down to the elbow, just the metal threads, I don't have it there while underway though, to try to keep stress on the drain to a minimum
    Trashman said:
    We started with a straight piece of aluminum but it had the tv too far out from the arch and was in the way when walking through to go to the cabin, so my dad had a guy at his work bend this piece for us. We machined the end for the sink on a lathe so it's a nice snug fit with no wobble.
  • JPCRUZEJPCRUZE Posts: 41Member ✭✭
    That is a great idea. I am currently trying to decide what to do with my roof mount but this may be a nice alternative and let the roof mount possibly serve another purpose. #DiscoBall :smiley:
  • rasburyrasbury Sanford, FLPosts: 3,681Member ✭✭✭✭
    So you have to undo the drain making the sink unusable?
    rasbury said:
    So you have to undo the drain making the sink unusable?
    I don't do anything to the drain, just stick the pole in it. I guess water would drain around it, never tried, I never use that sink, would almost rather have it gone and just a smooth counter top there.
  • Michael TMichael T Posts: 5,941Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    @04FV270riverrat .....personally, I really like the cockpit sink for cleaning drink :-) glasses etc. If the sink wouldn't drain with the TV support arm in it I would drill a couple of small holes in the support arm. BTW, awesome modification when you can't get inside the arch for an install!
  • rasburyrasbury Sanford, FLPosts: 3,681Member ✭✭✭✭
    I saw someone on here did exactly that, put a piece of the Lexan or something over it.....I actually do use the sink but you easily could have added another hole to mount if you wanted the sink....looks nice!
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Pawcatuck river CTPosts: 1,030Member ✭✭✭
    Simple and neat,I like it
    2005 Rinker FV342  boat name "Ten Forty"  Pawcatuck river,Ct