speedomter tubing

rasburyrasbury Sanford, FLPosts: 3,681Member ✭✭✭✭
Hey, sitting here with out much else to do.....I mentioned on my bellows post that it appeared that my speedo tube connection on the back side of the transom appeared to be broken off. I looked in the manual which is pretty vague about it, but it seems to say that the tube is pushed through the transom and is all one piece to the speedometer itself? It looks like from what I'm seeing, and perhaps it is for something else entirely, like a tubing that looks like it and it connected to a part that looks like a nylon piece...it is broken off and a barb is inside the tubing....what's the deal on this? Could this be where my leak was coming through? 270 with the bravo III. Not having pulled a motor myself (yet) and looking back there, it's hard to tell. I'm sure the manual is clear as day for someone that has pulled the motor out before...

Best Answers

• rasburyrasbury Sanford, FLPosts: 3,681Member ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Well I could see something there....and it's broke off in the tube. I'm not sure if it stopped working when they pulled the motor or if before at some point....I need to get it in the water and better identify it...thanks,

Answers

Nothing on tho one?
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Saint Clair Shores,MIPosts: 743Member ✭✭✭
    One it comes thru the transom it goes right to the speedometer 
    So is there a connection at the transom? So your saying it is one piece of tubing that starts at the foot and goes all the way to the speedometer? How does it seal going through the transom?
    No usually there 3 pieces 
    one at the leg
    one at engine and one by cluster 
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Flagstaff, AZ Posts: 236Member ✭✭✭
    Did the speedo work before you tore everything down? I think with a leak, it would've never had enough pressure to give good mph readings...
    2000 Captiva 232 
    Well, Speedo quit working some time ago but really not the issue. Think I got some crud up in there and it puked- have GPS which I'm sure mote accurate anyway... So @zaverin1 not sure I get what your splainin...one at leg(I get) one at engine( I don't get) and then up to the cluster, I get..im not understanding how it gets through the transom...
    Same way everything else does
    trasom assembly 
    beaides all the aftermarket stuff
    So, that means that tube connects to something on both sides of the transom? So if it is broken off on the engine side, would it leak? It may have busted off when the motor was pulled?
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Annapolis MDPosts: 324Member ✭✭✭
    Mine is three pieces.  Tube from Speedo to Transom assembly.  There was a plastic barb that connected it to the Transom assembly tube.  The connection to it was inside of the wire loom with all the other engine wires. The transom assembly tube then came out and had a specific barb that was a twist lock into the outdrive.  While i had tubes to both outdrives only one was connected to the tube that went to the speedo.  In the end i ditched the speedo altogether.  Left the tubes if the next guy wants to go back but for me it wasn't worth the hassle and a non working speedo was just taking up dash space.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
    so @davidbrooks would you think if it was not connected on the inside of the boat, would it leak? I saw that just as I was taking my boat to storage before the storm hit us here in central Florida- I will scream if that was the cause not that my bellows did not need to be done anyway....
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Pawcatuck river CTPosts: 1,030Member ✭✭✭

2005 Rinker FV342  boat name "Ten Forty"  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    so this is on the outside of the transom or the inside? The part I saw I believe was white on the inside...and the barb was broken off in the tube and no longer connected.....thanks! I have to find this leak!
    Use a small drill bit buy hand to clean out the hole, shot with a little air and speedo will bounce up, if it is clogged that is not your leak 
    On the inside yes oem is white the other piece I bet is still there, I did one once same as yours

Thanks...I will check this out. I don't think I will bother to try and hook the speedo back up but will experiment to see if the line is clogged or not. I would think if it were not, a fair amount of water would be syphoning up as a result! Not to mention when your running-
    Ain't that special... I recall someone else was having similar issue after a re power, hope he sees this!
    @j3ff did you see this thread? Did you solve your water intrusion or do I have you confused with someone else??