Sea water pump - longevity?

mattiemattie Posts: 129Member ✭✭
Ours let go Sunday night. Pump shaft & pulley worked its way fwd. Threw the serpentine belt off. Immediate overheat, no power steering, etc. Belt demoed some other stuff.

Fourtunately only 1000ft from our dock. Got towed in.

I'm 3/4's handy, but there was no being prepared for that mech failure. Bit of a gong show.......

should be be good to go for Friday. Not sure if there is an expected lifespan for sea water pumps.

mattie
Mattie

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Alexandria VirginiaPosts: 1,960Member ✭✭✭✭
    Most pumps last 10 years or longer, but I've never heard of one failing that way. 
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Mystic, CTPosts: 912Member ✭✭✭
    It's usually a seal that goes in the shaft or its just so scored you cant get a prime on it. I replaced one pump this season with the SS Hardin pump (seal failure) and stainless plates on the other (scored housing).  12 year old boat. 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Annapolis, MDPosts: 3,737Member, Moderator mod
    I replaced one of mine last year and the other this past spring.  One due to scored housing, the other due to shaft leak.  10 years is about right.  I'm hoping the Hardin pump will last longer.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• reneechris14reneechris14 Pawcatuck river CTPosts: 907Member ✭✭✭
    Don't forget the idler above the pump is next if it got wet.
    2005 Rinker FV342  boat name "Ten Forty"  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Mystic, CTPosts: 912Member ✭✭✭
    Don't forget the idler above the pump is next if it got wet.
    I found that out the hard way.  The bearing literally disintegrated at 27knts, 7 miles from an island and 25 from the mainland.  That's the nice thing about having a second engine, albeit it was a slow bumpy cruise to the anchorage.  Whats the saying, "two is one, and one is none".
  • WillhoundWillhound Lake Simcoe, Ontario, CanadaPosts: 542Member ✭✭✭
    Mine was changed out (rebuild kit) this year after 17 years. The phenolic (plastic) housing was cracked and leaking. Changed thermostat while we were at it. I plan on changing the idler and serpentine belt next week before an upcoming trip.
    "Knot Quite Shore"
  • wm61356wm61356 Harrison Twp., MIPosts: 192Member ✭✭✭
    Prior to launch this year, I replaced my port pump (OEM Brass) due to scoring of the housing. I went with the stainless steel version from Hardin Marine. Last week the starboard OEM Mercruiser pump failed exactly as described by @mattie at the beginning of this post. I replaced it with a pump from Hardin Marine as well. In talking with my Mercruiser mechanic, I learned that they have experienced many instances where the Merc pump fails and the shaft and pulley "exits the front of the pump". The mechanic wasn't surprised to hear of this type of failure, stating that it fairly common.
  • mattiemattie Posts: 129Member ✭✭
    edited August 31
    wm61356 said:
    Prior to launch this year, I replaced my port pump (OEM Brass) due to scoring of the housing. I went with the stainless steel version from Hardin Marine. Last week the starboard OEM Mercruiser pump failed exactly as described by @mattie at the beginning of this post. I replaced it with a pump from Hardin Marine as well. In talking with my Mercruiser mechanic, I learned that they have experienced many instances where the Merc pump fails and the shaft and pulley "exits the front of the pump". The mechanic wasn't surprised to hear of this type of failure, stating that it fairly common.
    Marine mechanic said the same thing. He has seen more & more factory pumps failing this way. I'm pretty anal with my stuff. This is one of those items that you can't possibly predict. 

Thank goodness the failure was close to home. Pretty much only bathing suits & BudLight on board. I had no possible way of limping home. Tow was the only option.

They are replacing with factory OEM stuff. I looked at the Hardin, but I would imagine we will upgrade the boat in the next 2-3 yrs. Factory parts should suffice.

Mattie
  • mattiemattie Posts: 129Member ✭✭

I found that out the hard way.  The bearing literally disintegrated at 27knts, 7 miles from an island and 25 from the mainland.  That's the nice thing about having a second engine, albeit it was a slow bumpy cruise to the anchorage.  Whats the saying, "two is one, and one is none".
    With a bowrider dayboat - we only use the boat in good/sunny/swim days. Rarely stray too far from home port.

I've often thought about the saying above..........it's absolutely correct.
    Mattie
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Holland, MichiganPosts: 3,967Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    That bearing was likely screaming, you just could not hear it before it let go.

I had 13 years on my OEM pumps, replaced both with Hardin Marine SS pumps.  The old ones were scored up, still working but were do.

2003 342FV "Black Diamond", 350 MAG MPI, 20P 4x4 Props, PC BYC, Holland, MI