Made a new cooler! Kinda

JoeStangJoeStang Metro DetroitPosts: 851Member ✭✭✭
edited July 17 in Rinker Custom Projects
So ever since I bought my boat i wondered why rinker didn't put a drain in this storage cubby on my 276. I really can't use it for anything because when it rains heavy the water that collects on the gunwhale eventually leads to it, and it just sits. I always wanted to use it for storing a couple drinks, but once the ice would melt I'd have to soak up the water, and forget that. 

Rinker starting putting a drain on them the last year or two, but they just put a line through the floor and into the bilge, I assume. I didn't want that, so I installed a drain and t'd into the existing sink drain line. It worked great and is watertight. I did put a little silicon under the drain too, to make sure nothing gets under the cabinet. If it works well I might even wrap the exterior of the cubby in insulation, to make the ice last longer.  B)

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
Post edited by JoeStang on

Comments

• JoeStangJoeStang Metro DetroitPosts: 851Member ✭✭✭
    And @wm61356 sorry I couldn't BS more, I was on a time crunch and ready to hit the water with a buddy. Feel free to stop by anytime again!  B)
  • wm61356wm61356 Harrison Twp., MIPosts: 200Member ✭✭✭

@joeStang - The drain is an excellent idea and looks great. Very good and useful modification!

No problem on the time part, I was just going for a ride in the whaler and happened to wander into your marina. It was good to meet you. I'll swing by again some time. Feel free to stop by my dock at MacRay as well if you're in the area.

• J3ffJ3ff Posts: 1,289Member ✭✭✭
    That must be awesome! Hate water in the bottom of coolers.
    Yeah that was the biggest annoyance, soaking up rain water from inside it. It was really a wasted storage spot, now I can at least use it for koozies or anything like that. 
  • rasburyrasbury Sanford, FLPosts: 3,671Member ✭✭✭✭
    my map compartment is like that, really needs a drain for that. When the covers are on it's protected but if it sits in the rain, it's mold city in there. I don't see a good way to drain it without tearing some stuff apart....
  • J3ffJ3ff Posts: 1,289Member ✭✭✭
    map compartment??
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Saint Clair Shores,MIPosts: 742Member ✭✭✭
    That's a bad place to mount amp fyi

• JonnyMJonnyM Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 179Member ✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    map compartment??

I think he is referring to the plexiglass covered storage are area on the port side of the dash on our 270s underneath the windshield.  I think it was built to hold maps and charts but they better be waterproof.
    "Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
    zaverin1 said:
    That's a bad place to mount amp fyi

Curious why you say that? There is a panel that covers it, I just had it removed to get access to the thru hull 
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Saint Clair Shores,MIPosts: 742Member ✭✭✭
    Not the panel
    in next few years you will start getting some water drips come by thru the rub rail
    just keep an eye on it

Good point, I'll keep an eye on it.