Spotlight bulb...

diggin2day1diggin2day1 Long Island, NYPosts: 899Member ✭✭✭
So my spotlight bulb blew out last week and I needed to order a new one. Only the "spot" portion of the bulb worked since I've owned the boat(didn't even realize there was a "flood".... since that was blown out before I bought the boat). So I got the model number off my remote jabsco spotlight and ordered the corresponding jabsco bulb- model 67296-0000 from Go2Marine.com for a cost of $76 shipped.  I had searched around and couldn't find the jabsco bulb any cheaper. When the bulb arrived the lens was scratched and I noticed that it was actually a GE bulb model GE 4700.... So I searched the net and found "replacementlightbulbs.com" and the bulb for $23.78!!!! I ordered it and the bulb fits perfectly and is a sealed/waterproof bulb with spot & flood features. It is a 5" diameter bulb. 
Yes, I returned the other bulb for a full refund and saved myself over $40. I did search for an LED replacement but wasn't able to find one. 

RIP-OFF JABSCO BULB from Go2Marine.com:
WITH SCRATCHED FACE:

NEW GE 4700 BULB(same but 1/3 price!!):

AND AS A BONUS.... AN OLD SCHOOL RINKER OFF THE BOW OF MY BOAT IN MY MARINA:

Comments

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Bay Village & Marblehead, OH.Posts: 1,313Member ✭✭✭✭
    Great find, thanks for posting the details!!!
    Wine-N-Down -- 2006 342 Express Cruiser

• LaReaLaRea Alexandria VirginiaPosts: 2,026Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good one.  Order placed.  

I wonder if the flood element has a shorter lifespan.  Yours was burned out when you bought your boat ... same here.
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Pawcatuck river CTPosts: 1,026Member ✭✭✭
    I always thought the S was for slow and F for fast silly me. Good info will keep the #
    2005 Rinker FV342  boat name "Ten Forty"  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • diggin2day1diggin2day1 Long Island, NYPosts: 899Member ✭✭✭
    I always thought that the switch was setup like that so you could operate it and position the spotlight where you wanted it without blinding people. Lol
  • rasburyrasbury Sanford, FLPosts: 3,671Member ✭✭✭✭
    Mine was out to when I bought, unfortunately I spent the bg bucks...used it once other than trying to spot gators at the marina...
    Mine gets used mainly when a crew member is busting a hot dance move up on the foredeck.  
  • WillhoundWillhound Lake Simcoe, Ontario, CanadaPosts: 660Member ✭✭✭
    Yeah...mine gets used after a few brewski's at the marina to call my buddies over for a beer. Sort of like the Bat Light. Boated after dark years ago....not any more. 
    "Knot Quite Shore"
    I did use it one time at night and worked great...good backup.
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Cape Coral, FLPosts: 5,290Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mostly the filaments can not handle the boat jarring, banging waves etc
    My bulb didn't have a broken filament.  They both looked fine.  I had always assumed that I'd have to replace either the remote or the entire light fixture.   

I replaced the bulb yesterday.  Took 15 minutes, and now I have spot plus flood lights.  Thanks @diggin2day1
  • diggin2day1diggin2day1 Long Island, NYPosts: 899Member ✭✭✭
    @LaRea - when my bulb blew out the filaments looked good too. I actually tested for voltage at the bulb before replacing it. 
    So easy to do.

Remove the retainer screw at the bottom.  Pry out the ring/bulb assembly.  Note the positions of the three wires, then unscrew them.  Put new bulb in retainer ring, reattach wires, reassemble.  

I forgot to do one thing:  polish the light before taking close-up photos.

That is so old school. Where is the LED??
    I use mine to spot gators...their eyes glow at might when you hit them with lights..
    But your not on your boat RAS
    Nope. Have some minor issues yet do plan on putting in tomorrow to check leak.