Kohler 5E generator - how to get engine data via SmartCraft or N2K?

LaReaLaRea Alexandria VirginiaPosts: 2,023Member ✭✭✭✭
Has anybody successfully hooked up to a Kohler 5E generator to get engine data via SmartCraft or NMEA 2000?  How did you do it?  

I know @Stodge and @Dream_Inn discussed it a couple years ago, and I've searched far and wide on the webbynet, but I've found nothing.

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Holland, MichiganPosts: 4,007Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    To my knowledge, there is no NEMA 2000 hook up on a 5e. 

2003 342FV "Black Diamond", 350 MAG MPI, 20P 4x4 Props, PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Cape Coral, FLPosts: 5,289Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would have to hook it up like I would hook up my Yanmars
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Annapolis, MDPosts: 3,843Member, Moderator mod
    Yeah, I've not done it. Doesn't seem to really give much info, so I didn't bother. But it would still be nice. There gas to be just one cable to buy.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Mystic, CTPosts: 921Member ✭✭✭
    There is nothing smart about that stupid generator. I don't want any of my other systems talking to that thing for fear they will get ideas on how to run poorly. 
  • StodgeStodge Lake St. ClairPosts: 1,333Member ✭✭✭
    I gave up on the idea.  I think Merc put the genny screen on the vessel view as a tease.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• SeaHareSeaHare Posts: 123Member ✭✭
    you could use a Noland RS11 to convert analog info from the genny to NMEA2000. Does the genny even have tach outputs?
    01 FV 310, 5.7s carbed, B3s
    At least on the carb 5e, the best you can get is oil pressure and temp. Anything else you would have to modify to install something. 

• LaReaLaRea Alexandria VirginiaPosts: 2,023Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be happy with oil, temp and engine hours.
    Progress to report:

After further research, I realized that my generator is a Kohler 5ECD, not 5E.  It actually has a SmartCraft plug that I never knew was there!  

The Operator's Manual mentions a P-19 plug.  I started removing panels from the sound box, and eventually found it.  As I'm facing the control panel on the front of the generator, the plug is at the far back right corner.  

I temporarily attached a SmartCraft Y-cable from the genny to the helm SmartCraft junction box.  On the VesselView, I went to the setup page and enabled the generator, and I can now see a screen where data should appear.  However, the values are all blank.

Best guess:  the other end of the SmartCraft Y-cable needs a terminator plug (which I will have by next weekend).
    Here's where they hid the SmartCraft plug.

Nice!

• reneechris14reneechris14 Pawcatuck river CTPosts: 1,025Member ✭✭✭
    Good find way to investigate.
    2005 Rinker FV342  boat name "Ten Forty"  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Annapolis, MDPosts: 3,843Member, Moderator mod
    Yes, I have the 7.3ECD and the smartcraft plug is in the same place, back behind the access panel by the exhaust.  I'll be curious how much it takes to connect it up. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Posts: 103Member ✭✭
    Awesome! I was going to year into mine to figure out how to do this this fall. I'll order some cables.
    Any update @LaRea? Waiting for your success before I order parts.
    I connected it with the terminator and still got no data on the VV.  I need to get on the phone with Merc tech support to figure it out, but I've just been too busy lately.  
    Still no luck!

Merc's tech support emailed me a diagram for hooking up a Kohler generator to a VesselView 5.  It's the same diagram that has been circulated before:

The plumbing is totally different on the VV 702, but I bought the two adapter cables (889280T01 and 84 889278T01) anyway to see if I could make it work.  There are two places where the 887278 can be inserted, and neither one worked.

So, @Dude_Himself - don't buy cables yet!
    I hope you figure this out, I've only found 2 success stories, butt lots of questions unanswered.