ok- time to get started on my bellows repair

rasburyrasbury Sanford, FLPosts: 3,339Member ✭✭✭✭
First step is to line up my parts- looking on line I see a varity of prices- should I just head down to my local merc dealer? Are they just by the year or do I ref a out drive serial? Where do I start with parts?

Comments

• AlswaggAlswagg Posts: 1,728Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy a transom service kit from Sierra.  And a standard shift cable not the extreme 
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 2,792Member ✭✭✭✭
    Listen to Al!!!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA
    Go Steelers!!!
  • rasburyrasbury Sanford, FLPosts: 3,339Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, I will check that out....but, I need to replace the shift cable in the process?
    edited May 26
    https://nuwavemarine.com/mercruiser/transom-assy/bravo/bellows-repair/sierra-mercruiser-bravo-bellows-seal-repair-kit-8m0095485-30-803100t1-18-8212-1-greasable/?utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_source=bc&gclid=CP-7tNWyjdQCFQ-1wAod-zYOlg this is the first thing that pops up ....and I have a zert to grease the gimbal....what about the shift cable, am I understanding that I need to replace?
  • pault1216pault1216 Indianapolis, INPosts: 162Member ✭✭
    I think every mechanic that ever worked on my boats recommends shift cable (lower) to be replaced during bellows service as preventative maintenance and I agree. -Paul
    Ras.  Yes.  The cable is coming out anyway.  Simply replace at the same time.   It is due 
    When my mechanic replaced my bellows, he replaced the shift cable. Like I said above, Listen to Al!!!
    Go Steelers!!!
    There is no question, I'm listening to Al....if I were closer to Al, Al would be doing it! I do however like to do things I can do myself as I like to tinker and learn....this project I don't think I can get into to much trouble with...so, the cable, which I have never replaced on a boat, you buy them by the foot? I don't get why it has to come out anyway, but, I'm sure when I did into it that will become obvious! I assume it has to do with it has to pass through the shift cable boot.....So the kit I found by Sierra would be fine? There are no model year issues or variables I need to be concerned with? I'm ready to get that ordered! Kills me I'm not on the water this weekend. New job however seems to be going well so I'm eying that money pit again.... 
  • trip_ntrip_n Posts: 128Member ✭✭
    @rasbury tinkering on his rinker.
  • frenchshipfrenchship Québec ,CanadaPosts: 1,068Member ✭✭✭
     Don't forget the glue for te bellows......
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Harrison Twp,MIPosts: 630Member ✭✭✭
    Spend the 1200 and have a pro do it
    trust me
    once again trust me
    All rubbers
    lower shift cable
    sending units and gimball bearing is usually done all at the same time
    every 3-5 years depending on usage and water
    You need a lower shift cable.  
    Yep Al, it will be on the parts list....not listening to the naysayers....well not right now anyway. This will be fun! Kit I'm looking at has the new gimbal...
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Pawcatuck river CTPosts: 831Member ✭✭✭
    See cable has to come out so boot can go on.
    2005 Rinker FV342  boat name "Ten Forty"  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    That's what I was thinking....i assume that end won't go through the boot so you have to take it off anyway...correct?
    How do I figure out the correct length cable to order, other than the obvious, or is it the obvious?
    The cable is a set cable. You can only order a lower shift cable. Be sure to take a picture of the route before you pull the old one out. 
    Go Steelers!!!
    10 4!
    Ras
    your boat is on a trailer
    take it
    to a rapair shop
    short turn around and you will save money 
    your time is worth more specially being on the water 
    what you don't get is all the special tools
    and tricks you will need to do this job
    i ve done it several times prior to my motorcycle accident and it's not easy
    trust me
    you will save few hundred by the time you are done in July 

Ras. Get ready for a road trip.  Come on up to Syracuse and in one afternoon it will be done and tested.  We could also show you the boat plant at the same time.   Just arrange a time with us prior 
    I wish I could @alswagg as that is an awesome offer! I have an offer for loan of the tools, I have pulled motors out of cars, motorcycles and generally a handy person. I am by no means a mechanic. The more I learn of this, the more I'm inclined to do it. I also have a pretty good friend around the corner that is a certified merc mechanic that I never ask for help- not yet and saving that card for when I really need it. If the out drive were older, badly corroded and in general not good health I would leave it to more experienced eyes. I have 300 hours on for the most part fresh water, and spent its life on a lift or a trailer. We can do this!
    https://nuwavemarine.com/mercruiser/outdrive/bravo/shift-cable/oem-mercruiser-bravo-1-2-3-shift-cable-lower-drive-kit-865437a02. Is this my shift cable? I'm not getting that one cable works on any boat no matter what the length of the boat?
    rasbury said:
    https://nuwavemarine.com/mercruiser/outdrive/bravo/shift-cable/oem-mercruiser-bravo-1-2-3-shift-cable-lower-drive-kit-865437a02. Is this my shift cable? I'm not getting that one cable works on any boat no matter what the length of the boat?
    That's the one.
    Go Steelers!!!
    10 4z thx. Will probably bring the boat home this week and start on the stand...I'm sure ready the water.
    Update- parts ordered! Went with sierra parts per Al's recommend...nu wave marine.
     Parts were shipped today!
  • TrashmanTrashman New Jersey/ philaPosts: 333Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2
    rasbury said:
    The guys at nuwave are really good with explaining parts and what you will need.  I bought from them many times through ebay before i discovered they are 25 mins from my house.  Bellows job isnt rocket science when you have access to the advise from the forum. I do suggest being careful to not snap the thru transom drive lube fitting.  Its very brittle
    @trashman that is one item that I have been totally unclear how that comes apart- other than the shift cable I assume that is the only other connection to the drive other than the bellows them selves and the trim cylinders. As I pull the drive back, what am I looking for ? Also, does the zert for the gimbal bearing need to be removed before try to remove the bearing, is it connected to the bearing outer ring in an way or is it just a passage that gets the grease to it?
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Pawcatuck river CTPosts: 831Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2
    Zert can stay it just let's greese in you will not use it the new gimbal barring is sealed.the oil line is just on a barbed fitting when all things are off it is the only thing holding the gimbal ring so don't let it hang.
    2005 Rinker FV342  boat name "Ten Forty"  Pawcatuck river,Ct