Replacing flat Starboard covers - Stainless Steel?

WillhoundWillhound Lake Simcoe, Ontario, CanadaPosts: 267 ✭✭
Want to replace the covers over my blower vents on FV270. Having a tough time finding StarBoard at a reasonable price anywhere nearby. Can probably get HDPE. Same thing? Thinking of checking with local metal fab shop to see about having them cut out of stainless. Other reason would be so I could mount a down-rigger on one side, after figuring out how to better fasten them down.
Goofy idea? Downside would be they'd be a lot heavier I suppose.
"Knot Quite Shore"

Comments

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19
    The stainless will get hot. Boatoutfitters.com has Starboard at a decent price.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA
    Go Steelers!!!
  • WillhoundWillhound Lake Simcoe, Ontario, CanadaPosts: 267 ✭✭
    Until you add the shipping, customs duty and exchange.  In Canada.
    "Knot Quite Shore"
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Bay Village & Marblehead, OH.Posts: 935 ✭✭✭
    If you can find cutting boards at Walmart or wherever of the same thickness and a color you like that would be a cheap way to make them. What's wrong with yours?
    Wine-N-Down -- 2006 342 Express Cruiser

Mine are full of holes where a P.O. had rod holders or something mounted on them.
    I've been keeping my eyes open for the cutting board idea, just haven't found one big enough yet.
    "Knot Quite Shore"
  • frenchshipfrenchship Québec ,CanadaPosts: 1,040 ✭✭✭
    is it cover with Gelcoat... If it is would be easy to fill the holes and applied Gelcoat on top of the filled holes
    Nope. More of a StarBoard type material. 
    "Knot Quite Shore"
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Bay Village & Marblehead, OH.Posts: 935 ✭✭✭
    Until you find what you want, toss some stainless steel screws with finishing washers in there. Will look like they are intentional. 
    Wine-N-Down -- 2006 342 Express Cruiser

Could do that. Other reason to go stainless, or thicker StarBoard is that it's the perfect location to mount my downrigger, as long as I can figure out how to better fasten them, maybe through bolt if I can get up in there on the inside.
    "Knot Quite Shore"
  • skennellyskennelly ChicagoPosts: 363 ✭✭✭
    I too have thought about mounting a downrigger there...but I don't think the strength is there.  You really have to bolt through the gunwhale.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3