Clean up this rats nest

davidbrooksdavidbrooks Annapolis MDPosts: 123 ✭✭
So the PO really did a great job with keeping up with the maintenance and my 2003 actually shows like a 2013.  But the more i dig into things and get to the items that he didn't i am finding where he cut corners.  Transom light below the storage locker door... just cut the wire.  Couldn't find it anywhere.  Put in very good quality LED lighting....with lamp wire from Home Depot.  So what i have is a nice little wiring rats nest going on and it is bugging me.  I want to start cleaning this up.  I rewired the transom light with marine wire and heat shrink connections but i am looking for ideas on how to bundle up the wiring.  It looks like the main engine wires are still in the origonal Wireloom so i dont really want to open that up and stuff wires into it.  I am also concerned about using wire clamps that will require me to put a screw into the hull.  

Any other ideas that you all have come across to help get this rats nest cleaned up?

Thanks.
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!

Comments

• dalekdalek Posts: 28 ✭✭
    Spiroband makes everything neat but it is quite time consuming for long lengths. You can also get self adhesive cable-tie bases, which are very good.
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Annapolis MDPosts: 123 ✭✭
    Thanks.  I have looked at a bunch of self adhesive options.  The more expensive ones need to be glassed in or epoxy'd.  Just wasn't sure if there was any one that had tried the self adhesive ones to see if they actually stayed.
    If the surface is clean when you apply, they will not come off. The adhesive is surprisingly good.
  • jme097jme097 Algonac, MIPosts: 1,048 ✭✭✭
    @dalek have a link to these self adhesive cable ties by chance? I am curious as well as I just installed 2 new amps along with new shielded speaker wire so I would like to make the install clean
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
    So i have been looking at these (click the word these), and or these twistlock types.  The Epoxy on type here.  Look a lot more durable but are a lot more expensive as well.
  • randy56randy56 Newburgh INPosts: 1,349 ✭✭✭
    edited May 19
    Have you ever used screw mount cable ties. Here a link, there are different colors and length's. There are many manufacturer's and strength, do a search. I've used these and keep them in my tool box, just a 1/2 SS screw will hold them.
    You can buy these at hardware stores and auto parts, in smaller quantities, maybe 20 per bag.  

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-TCV155-Screw-Mount-Cable/dp/B00213KL76
    Post edited by randy56 on
    Boat Name : Knot My Prolem

2003 - 270
    Link to cable tie bases. A number to choose from. Some adhesive and screw.
    http://www.newark.com/c/cable-wire-cable-assemblies/cable-management/cable-ties/tie-holders-mountings
    @randy56 I did use a screw in cable tie and didn't like them for two reasons. 1) I went through the fiberglass as the area i was attaching it was thin and it cracked the gel coat just above the swim platform.  I really don't want to do that again. 2) Me, fiberglass and SS screws don't like each other.  I cant count how many screw heads i have twisted off by not getting the hole perfectly sized to the screw or over tightening.  That is what had me looking for other options.  I just keep feeling like the ones with the sticky back are going to keep coming off.  But they are cheap so i may give it a shot and see what happens.  
  • randy56randy56 Newburgh INPosts: 1,349 ✭✭✭