Replacing engine throttle remote control and cables - advice needed

AccidentalSuperstarAccidentalSuperstar Alameda, CAPosts: 20Member ✭✭
Changing out the defective OEM Mercury control box (neutral button sticks) p/n 87770 A13 for the current Mercury 4500 Gen II throttle mount with new gear cables on my FV270. Any and all advice is appreciated. If possible, include pix and/or links. Thanks in advance!
If your going to do something, do it now. Tomorrow is too late.

Comments

• howardramshowardrams Fairport Harbor, OHPosts: 182Member ✭✭
    Pretty much every such project these days has numerous videos posted on YouTube.  My only thought is why the cables?  They can be adjusted and lubricated usually to take care of any issue.
  • AccidentalSuperstarAccidentalSuperstar Alameda, CAPosts: 20Member ✭✭
    Because the body of the current gen II control remote is longer, the gear cables must be adjusted shorter Perfect time to swap for new cables.
  • diggin2day1diggin2day1 Long Island, NYPosts: 621Member ✭✭✭
    I have been thinking of replacing mine as well due to the same issues that you're having... 
    Mercury phased out the OEM remote due to the neutral stick problem. It's why there is no replacement part for that OEM engine throttle control. Instead, you gotta get the Mercury made 4500 Gen II Throttle Control and the Gen II Mercury cables - not universal cables. Because the controller is different from the first, the Gen II cables will have the appropriate end(s) piece to attach to Mercury engines. The project should result in better throttle response w/o any play in the throw. ( but gees, I'm no expert...) Jus working out some reasearch ... #wknd boater.
  • diggin2day1diggin2day1 Long Island, NYPosts: 621Member ✭✭✭
    That have it on Amazon.com... they also sell the gen2 throttle cables. Any idea how long our cables are?
    The cables I use are 16" and 18 ft, but check the stamp on the cables you use for the appropriate length needed.   

Dang.., I spent $379 + tax