Is it normal?

I have had a 270 for three years, my first boat. Next to no problems with it, but I don't do many hours. Yanmar 4LHA engine with a Bravo 2X outdrive. The engine is cooled via heat exchangers from water that is sucked through the outdrive by an engine mounted pump in the normal way.
The question I would like to ask is:- is it normal to not have a water strainer or filter of any description? In my boat a pipe runs straight from the outdrive, through some connectors and into the pump. I can see no evidence there ever was any sort of strainer.  Your comments would be appreciated.

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Cape Coral, FLPosts: 4,954Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 2 Yans and I have 2 thru hull valves piped to each strainer then to the engine. Also the water sucks up from each drive. 
    So you really need a strainer to keep larger items from blocking the small tubes inside the heat exchangers
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Bay Village & Marblehead, OH.Posts: 1,127Member ✭✭✭
    Another diesel on this forum? @Handymans342 you have to be so excited....
    Wine-N-Down -- 2006 342 Express Cruiser

Another diesel on this forum? @Handymans342 you have to be so excited....
    He has been on before but he is in Europe.
  • russellhrussellh Chichester EnglandPosts: 154Member ✭✭
    edited April 20
     I am a diesel fan with a petrol engine  but then I from England..... not Europe anymore thank god!   Yesterday I filled up at my marina and was met with a puzzled look by the chic on the pumps. "I've never filled a boat up with petrol before" she said! "Everyones diesel!"  She gave me the stare my kids give me when I ask about computer games! 

That must have been a pretty penny.
  • icoulthaicoultha Niskayuna NYPosts: 285Member ✭✭✭
    "I am a diesel fan with a petrol engine  but then I from England..... not Europe anymore"

Geographically sir, you still are  :) 

Regards,

Ian

• andydandyd Dana Point, California, USAPosts: 473Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 21
    When I was in England years ago I saw pumps marked "DERV" and was curious what it was. I was told it means "Diesel Engine Road Vehicle" I assume so they can tax the heII out of it unlike heating fuel.

Andy 
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • russellhrussellh Chichester EnglandPosts: 154Member ✭✭
    Icoulta that's a matter of opinion
  • howardramshowardrams Fairport Harbor, OHPosts: 204Member ✭✭✭
    Dalek,

The answer to your question is that it's pretty normal to have no separate strainer for cooling water on a boat like yours.  If you run a lot in very shallow water kicking up sand and muck continuously you could think about adding such an accessory. 
  • LaReaLaRea Alexandria VirginiaPosts: 1,880Member ✭✭✭✭
    In general, Rinker puts strainers on boats that have dual pickup (water from the outdrive, plus water from a thru-hull with a Y-pipe).  For engines that take water only from the outdrive, there usually is no strainer. 
  • dalekdalek Posts: 42Member ✭✭
    Thanks guys.