Starter cranks but won't engage

diggin2day1diggin2day1 Long Island, NYPosts: 707Member ✭✭✭
Went to start the engine(2002 mercruiser 350 horizon FWC) for the first time today after winter storage and the starter turns but will not engage the flywheel. Has me thinking... the starter on the same side as the manifold that had the pinhole leak in it. UGH!!!

Comments

• reneechris14reneechris14 Pawcatuck river CTPosts: 670Member ✭✭✭
    1/2 inch socket comes right out discount battery frist and take the wires off when it's unbolted.putting it in is the tough part,left hand holding starter and start bolt with the same hand.I did it 3 times on my 270.God I miss that boat.342 gave me a bunch of problems today,back at it tomorrow 
    2005 Rinker FV342  boat name "Ten Forty"  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • diggin2day1diggin2day1 Long Island, NYPosts: 707Member ✭✭✭
    Should I just replace or is there any type of maintenance/repair I can do to it? Any recommendations on where to buys a new one?
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Flagstaff, AZ Posts: 197Member ✭✭✭
    On trucks, the first thing I do to a starter when its not working right, is hit it with a hammer (not kidding) 
    2000 Captiva 232 
    Lake_Bum said:
    On trucks, the first thing I do to a starter when its not working right, is hit it with a hammer (not kidding) 
    Tried it... not joking(used a rubber mallet though!!)
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Holland, MichiganPosts: 3,692Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might get lucky and free up the gear that slides forward to engage. 

2003 342FV "Black Diamond", PC BYC, Holland, MI
    I am going to get after it tomorrow... the admiral won't let me work on it today!!!
  • WillhoundWillhound Lake Simcoe, Ontario, CanadaPosts: 334Member ✭✭✭
    Could be the solenoid is just stuck after sitting for the winter. If you can reach in where the starter gear is located and spray some electrical cleaner, maybe even brake cleaner (well ventilated of course) and give it time to evaporate it might free it up without having to remove the starter?
    "Knot Quite Shore"
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Posts: 1,914Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah if it's spinning but not engaging it's the stator froze up... tapping it often works, also hitting start for a split second as many as a dozen times sometimes frees it.  If the cog isn't kicking out to engage after all that, then it's time to swap it.  Hire a contortionist.  
  • rasburyrasbury Sanford, FLPosts: 3,129Member ✭✭✭✭
    Being marine it is well sealed so I'd say it has to come out- would for sure keep bumping that ignition and hope it frees- @212rowboat must have had the same experience I had!
  • 99270fv99270fv Woodstock, GAPosts: 90Member ✭✭
    may try getting a little oil or wd40 on the starter bendix to free it up
    New starter is on the way.... 
  • WillhoundWillhound Lake Simcoe, Ontario, CanadaPosts: 334Member ✭✭✭
    Ouch! Ya, fer sure....
    "Knot Quite Shore"
  • randy56randy56 Newburgh INPosts: 1,422Member ✭✭✭
    Damm diggin that looks rotten. 
    Boat Name : Knot My Prolem

2003 - 270
    Yep, it was right under the manifold that had the pinhole last season... better to find this out now!
  • J3ffJ3ff Posts: 978Member ✭✭✭
    Geezuz, that looks worse than the one on my motor which was 10+ years old. 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Annapolis, MDPosts: 3,514Member, Moderator mod
    Wow!  Some salt water definitely ran on that for a while!  Glad you found it now!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• reneechris14reneechris14 Pawcatuck river CTPosts: 670Member ✭✭✭
    See comes out easy,going back in well??
    Differently time to retire.
    2005 Rinker FV342  boat name "Ten Forty"  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    Yeah, came out pretty easy... let's see how well it goes back in!! 
    New starter was delivered today and was installed in the boat 20 minutes later... honestly not too bad of a job. She started right up after her long winter nap, got up to temp and made me very happy. Now off to build more steps and try and get my boat ready for splash... just not enough time in the day!!!