Gimbal ring repair/replacement

icoulthaicoultha Niskayuna NYPosts: 477Member ✭✭✭
So the need may have to be done, some play in the port side so best case the upper pin is shot, likely the gimbal ring is also worn. Will be going the Mercruiser repair route - drill the holes in each side - that apparently is not as easy as the other 3rd party method but I'd prefer to go the way the manufacturer puts in their service manuals. I have seen a few options here and in the web in general around around repair services - send in, weld and machine and return all good again - as well as buying a used part versus the horrendously expensive new unit.

Anyone care to offer feedback on who you have used, experiences etc? Feel free to send private message if you don't want to publicly air a bad experience you may have had with a provider.

Thanks.

Regards,

Ian

Comments

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Bay Village & Marblehead, OH.Posts: 1,598Member ✭✭✭✭
    On my previous boat I had to have the gimbal rings done and I had a mercruiser certified tech do it via the JR Marine method. Worked very well, saved money, no complaints. I think a little wiggle in the drives, especially the non leading side, is normal. Someone else can chime in but I thought a half inch or so was normal. 
    Wine-N-Down -- 2006 342 Express Cruiser

• craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Mystic, CTPosts: 963Member ✭✭✭
    I have a little play in mine as well but when i replaced my swivel shaft the gimbal ring was actually in decent shape.  So i'm guessing there is just some degree of play in the steering system.  Two Bravo 3 boats and both had a bit of play.  As for repairing the gimbal ring i have heard JR Marine does a nice job.
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 3,228Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I had my ring replaced on my old 232cc with an Alpha drive, I slid the engine forward to do it. I am not a fan of the drilling in the sides of the transom housing method. It costs a little more, but I like the results better.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA
    Go Steelers!!!
  • frenchshipfrenchship Québec ,CanadaPosts: 1,076Member ✭✭✭
    The JR marine way was the best for me. Also if you change the pivot pin use the stainless steel one.
  • 99270fv99270fv Woodstock, GAPosts: 93Member ✭✭
    I did the JR marine method on mine with the stainless steel pin and would recommend that to anybody thinking about another method.