prepping and painting outdrives

RansnanRansnan Essex MDPosts: 48Member ✭✭
Getting ready to paint my Bravo 3 outdrives for the first time, we bought the our 2003 342 last spring, and it was already painted, whats your tricks and tips for cleaning and painting? i want to try and avoid those pesky Barnacles as much as possible.

Best Answers

Answers

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Holland, MichiganPosts: 4,018Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you looking to clean to the bare metal?  If so, CO2 or soda blasting is a nice and non-damaging method.

There is a nice post on here about prepping and painting.  Prep is critical for painting over aluminum.

2003 342FV "Black Diamond", 350 MAG MPI, 20P 4x4 Props, PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • J3ffJ3ff Posts: 1,304Member ✭✭✭
    I just lightly sanded mine....not to the bare metal, same for the bottom of the boat, but I have the yard do that job...
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Pawcatuck river CTPosts: 1,049Member ✭✭✭

2005 Rinker FV342  boat name "Ten Forty"  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Annapolis, MDPosts: 3,887Member, Moderator mod
    Yep, renee posted the good stuff.  I keep mine on the lift, so I just touch up with the phantom black each year.   

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Mystic, CTPosts: 921Member ✭✭✭
    I scuff sand the factory paint and brush on Pacifica Plus. It works great for our waters in CT/RI. If you only go with the factory paint your drive will likeky be fouled in no time. 
  • laureniac1laureniac1 Kirtland ohioPosts: 149Member ✭✭
    I used the quicksilver phantom black paint and it is WONDERFUL! I can't remember the primer I used. Just knock off the putting with some sand paper prime and paint. The phantom black is like factory new you will be happy.
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Bay Village & Marblehead, OH.Posts: 1,346Member ✭✭✭✭
    I've been using Trilux 33 antifoul on my drives. easy application from a spray can. Keeps them clean all summer. 
    Wine-N-Down -- 2006 342 Express Cruiser

• RansnanRansnan Essex MDPosts: 48Member ✭✭
    Do you still use primer? The drives aren't really bad. Just was gonna sand a little, and paint
  • 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Washington, DCPosts: 1,093Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 27