Bravo3 Lowers

Took my boat out of the water and I have gear lube leaking out by the prop on the starboard outdrive.  Can I get some opinions on what to do.  I feel at this point it may be best to replace the lower because there is naturally corrosion on the housing around the prop shaft . 

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Holland, MichiganPosts: 4,014Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get it rebuilt. Depending where you are located, Alswagg on here is in Indiana, otherwise www.allamericandriveservice.com is great. Plus 2 year warranty. 

2003 342FV "Black Diamond", 350 MAG MPI, 20P 4x4 Props, PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Hammer340Hammer340 Posts: 4Member ✭✭
    I'm Kinda worried that the housing might crack trying to get the carrier barring out to replace the seal  
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Pawcatuck river CTPosts: 1,030Member ✭✭✭
    Have it rebuilt,kinda of a routine thing over time.600 to 900 bucks unless corrosion is bad the baring  carrier is the piece close to the prop shaft that can be replaced . Good Luck.
    2005 Rinker FV342  boat name "Ten Forty"  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • StodgeStodge Lake St. ClairPosts: 1,338Member ✭✭✭
    I replaced my lowers.  Refurbished B3 Lowers run about $3K each.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• rasburyrasbury Sanford, FLPosts: 3,686Member ✭✭✭✭
    Had mine done for under 500 bucks on the prop seal shaft...may be wrong but don't recall that the carrier bearing had to come out to replace the seal?
    Had one done for 600 and one done for 700.that's top and bottom rebuilt . but neither one needed parts.I removed it and reinstalled.
  • AlswaggAlswagg Posts: 1,799Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ha.  Complete rebuild but no parts needed??? So what did they do for 600$????    Very few techs even know how to rebuild a Bravo drive properly.  My Son and I are the only true Mercruiser Bravo certified techs in our area.  Beware who you have digging into these drives.   
    Al just resealed 1st was fishing line behind back props crewed  up seal.2nd one props shaft seal different guy.1st was a certified shop and it went back he forgot the needle bearing on the prop shaft gald I noticed,
    Now I'm ready for #3,as the 342 I bought in semptember needs to done.plus u joint, bellows,gimble,oh yah the oil line.
  • Michael TMichael T Posts: 5,943Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is truly frightening!
    I think if I have problems with mine I'm looking at shipping cost to Al! My guy is not certified, a good mechanic for sure but nor sure who I trust to go into that drive. I could probably bolt off and bolt on with some direction. I think I'm just never going to have a problem, sounds easier!
     I think I'm just never going to have a problem, sounds easier! now that's hilarious  :#  It's a boat what could possibly go wrong.Captain Ron said if its going to happen it will happen out there. 
    Yea, I know buts its the right attitude!