Replacement Sea Water Pump

wm61356wm61356 Harrison Twp., MIPosts: 151 ✭✭✭
I've begun to work on some of the items on my maintenance list for the off season. Today I pulled the port sea water pump to replace the impellor. When I inspected the brass housing after removing the impellor I noticed curricular score marks on both the housing and end cap. The scoring is deep enough to be felt with my fingers. I wasn't having any engine cooling problems last summer but, now that I know the pump housing is worn, I'm not comfortable just installing a new impellor and reusing the pump. It's gotta go! My question is: what would those of you who have been in this situation recommend? Should I go with a new OEM pump from Merc, the replacement from Sierra, or a stainless steel pump from Hardin Marine? I read on a previous post that someone got the pumps from Hardin Marine and experienced early bearing failure. The OEM pump has lasted 6 years so I would likely get that much or more from a new OEM unit. Are the stainless steel pumps as reliable as the original units?  Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Cape Coral, FLPosts: 4,501 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Hardin  #1
  • frenchshipfrenchship Québec ,CanadaPosts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

Have a look at this, I used it with really good result. I look at it after two years still in good shape.
    http://metalartetc.com/epages/3491964f-553f-4c10-8659-1241e68dccdb.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/3491964f-553f-4c10-8659-1241e68dccdb/Products/SSWP-FKX1
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Cape Coral, FLPosts: 4,501 ✭✭✭✭
    That may work well Paul
  • wm61356wm61356 Harrison Twp., MIPosts: 151 ✭✭✭
    @friendship - does the kit work with the standard impellor or is a shorter one required? Was there any modification to the pump bracket needed to mount the pump? Thank you for the information.
  • onislandtimeonislandtime MarylandPosts: 124 ✭✭
    My STBD seawater pump is being replaced in the spring before season launch. I also have read and its been recommended to use Hardin Pump. This was the first I have heard of a bad Hardin pump from anyone. I think its like anything else, some people swear by certain products and others can't say anything good. Who hasn't ever bought something and got one that was bad lol. I will be replacing my pump with a Hardin pump.
  • LaReaLaRea Alexandria VirginiaPosts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭
    Pump life is hard to predict.  A new pump might last 10 years in the right conditions, or it might be destroyed in minutes if you run a bunch of sand through it.  

One nice thing about having a replaceable wear plate:  if your pump dies in the middle of nowhere, you can replace the wear plate and keep going.  
    Yes I used the regular impeller from Mercruiser on my twin 5.0 mpi no mod was necessary to mount the pump. 
    By the way you just remind me to order two extra kits just in case...... While they are on sale.

• wm61356wm61356 Harrison Twp., MIPosts: 151 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the Information. I have 350 Mag MPI motors but I think the water pumps are the same. 
    I would think so. I do remember that the instructions do mention something about this. You could talk to the person about it he was really friendly with me 
  • JohnCostellloJohnCostelllo Posts: 43
    Does anybody know any tips on changing out impeller on Sea water pump on a 2008 260 Express Cruiser?  I see it but cant get to it.  Thanks

• rasburyrasbury Sanford, FLPosts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭
    I have the spacers in my merc pump and very satisfied vs 700 bucks for a new pump. It is, however,no doubt about 1/16 shorter an impeller to make up for the spacers...should be all in the kit.
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Pawcatuck river CTPosts: 606 ✭✭✭
    Remove belt,remove idler pulley,unbolt bracket holding pump,slide it out a little bit then get the hose clamps.a small monkey is also helpfull.
    2005 Rinker FV342  boat name "Ten Forty"  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Bay Village & Marblehead, OH.Posts: 935 ✭✭✭
    I left my hoses attached and just removed the pump housing to change the impeller. Could not have done it without a 10mm short stubby open wrench. 
    Wine-N-Down -- 2006 342 Express Cruiser

• reneechris14reneechris14 Pawcatuck river CTPosts: 606 ✭✭✭
    That's great thinking I will try that.
    2005 Rinker FV342  boat name "Ten Forty"  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • rasburyrasbury Sanford, FLPosts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭
    me too Liberty....got it down to a science now...
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Bay Village & Marblehead, OH.Posts: 935 ✭✭✭
    Yea it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Next time I'm bringing a grinder with me to grind off that tab on the pump preventing you from easily getting it past th cool fuel module. I loosened my module but it didn't help much. Of course had to remove belt, idler, alternator arm but those are simple. I saw this on a utube video from th 4 wins site. 
    Wine-N-Down -- 2006 342 Express Cruiser

• AlswaggAlswagg Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭
    Liberty simply remove one of the studs.