Does your galley sink have slippery faucet knobs? Fix them with o-ring grippers (re-post)

LaReaLaRea Alexandria VirginiaPosts: 2,026Member ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2016 in Rinker Custom Projects
(Re-posting to the new Rinker Custom Projects category)

If your galley faucet has cylindrical knobs, here's an inexpensive mod that will solve an inconvenient problem.

The problem is that the faucet knobs are too darned slippery.  They are super-smooth metal cylinders with no knurling or other features to grip.  If you get any soap or grease on your fingers, you can't turn the water on without a rag or paper towel.  Easy solution:  Put o-rings on the handles.

Here's the original faucet:

And here's the faucet with o-rings:

The nominal size is:  1-3/16" outer diameter, 15/16" inner diameter, 1/8" thickness.  For some vendors, this size is referred to as "size 213".  

You can't just buy cheap black rubber o-rings from the hardware store, because they will dry out and crack.  Mine are specialty o-rings made of silicon (red) and fluorosilicon (blue).  I've had them for a few months, and they are holding up well.  There are many places to get them, but here are the ones I used:

Comments

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Annapolis, MDPosts: 3,845Member, Moderator mod
    LaRea, I still have mine in use as well.  Thanks for sending me them!  I put one on each of the galley sink and one each on the head sink. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• mardenmarden North ChannelPosts: 5Member
    thank you we put thick elastics better than nothing ...will look into these
  • mardenmarden North ChannelPosts: 5Member
    thank you we put thick elastics better than nothing ...will look into these
  • LaReaLaRea Alexandria VirginiaPosts: 2,026Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anybody wants some of these o-rings, send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll mail them to you free of charge.  
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Annapolis, MDPosts: 3,845Member, Moderator mod
    @Larea - I could've used some this weekend! :)  Several people commented on them.  I know of at least 3 boats on my dock that were going to investigate further.  Mine are still holding up very well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express