2003 Rinker 270 FV Odor when flushing toilet.

jmichelsjmichels CTPosts: 265Member ✭✭
Noticed last year whenever toilet is flushed and if you are out on the cockpit you get a whiff of sulfur smell. I assume it must be coming from the vent for the tank or something? Anyone have this issue? How is it remedied. 

I did notice that someone had installed a charcoal filter in the engine compartment coming off the waste tank. thinking out load here being a mechanical contractor........shouldn't there be a check valve there and then no need for a charcoal filter?? What is original design of piping for the waste tank. Anyone have a diagram?

Answers

• chamberbchamberb Saint Albans, VTPosts: 259Member ✭✭✭
    It is very common. A lot of users use the Big Orange Filter. 
  • diggin2day1diggin2day1 Long Island, NYPosts: 899Member ✭✭✭
    Or make one.... Very easy and very cheap!
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Bay Village & Marblehead, OH.Posts: 1,313Member ✭✭✭✭
    X2 on diggen
    Wine-N-Down -- 2006 342 Express Cruiser

• reneechris14reneechris14 Pawcatuck river CTPosts: 1,026Member ✭✭✭
    Diggin2day1 that your pic I need one to because I stink too.
    2005 Rinker FV342  boat name "Ten Forty"  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    Yup, that's mine... Cut you're vent line and install between the tank and outside vent. 
  • jmichelsjmichels CTPosts: 265Member ✭✭
    thats exactly what i have but it still smells. shouldnt there be a check valve installed though inline after the filter so it only allows air in not out?
    You may have to change the charcoal inside(costs $6 from pet store).... That is actually a vent so the when you flush toilet and waste goes into the tank, the air gets pushed out through the filter and out of the boat.... Also lets air in when you are having the tank pumped out.
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Bay Village & Marblehead, OH.Posts: 1,313Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, if your tank overflows waste in to the charcoal filter it is done and it's stinky 
    Wine-N-Down -- 2006 342 Express Cruiser

Great pic. Looks pretty simple. I'm giving it a try, no filter on mine and the kids don't like it every time we flush. 
    I was astounded at how well it worked... Before the filter was installed it smelled like I was smacked in the face with a bag of a$$holes every time someone flushed the toilet. Now I don't smell anything even when I'm right near the vent. 
    I was astounded at how well it worked... Before the filter was installed it smelled like I was smacked in the face with a bag of a$$holes every time someone flushed the toilet. Now I don't smell anything even when I'm right near the vent. 
    Lol. I should have mine in by Saturday. 
    how often do you change the charcoal?

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Annapolis, MDPosts: 3,846Member, Moderator mod
    You can usually make it every other year with charcoal change.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

thanks!
  • rasburyrasbury Sanford, FLPosts: 3,672Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well, don't want to suggest that my s don't stink, but we have rules on our boat that have worked so far. I put the blue stuff in the bowel regularly. With our "rules" I don't seem to have a bad odor from there, but I do have a bad odor as you pass through the door way from behind the helm  which this post got me thinking about. I have been thinking I had a bad bilge odor- maybe the vent line has come off and my S does stink and will need a filter as well!
    Mine never has... Must be the kids ;)
  • duane.mosleyduane.mosley florence kyPosts: 315Member ✭✭✭
    just made mine tonight, i already had the pipe so 20 bucks in fittings at home depot  and 20 bucks at pet smart. time to cut it in and see how it works!
    just got back from the lake for the weekend and i must say, some of the best 35 dollars i've spent! didn't smell anything all weekend!

And you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself!!! 
    ya found out the previous owner of my boat had already fabricated one of these charcoal canisters in the vent line already. So I just needed to change out the charcoal. He had pellets in there before in a nylon type sock. I dumped that and put regular charcoal flakes in the soak and replaced it. One thing he did also that would make it much easier for you guys to access is he put a 1.5 inch fern cote fitting on the end of the pvc pipe to connect to the other pvc pipe with 2 worm drive clamps. this allows you to just loosen one end of the worm drive clamp and drop the charcoal rather then taking the hoses off etc. Def a nice upgrade. So far no more nasty smell and pumped out waste tank too which was getting full. 
    And you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself!!! 
    i learned along time ago that if the guys behind the curtain could do it, so could i!! i wouldn't have it any other way!
  • BayrunnerBayrunner Seneca Creek, MarylandPosts: 134Member ✭✭
    Can some tell me the length of the pipe and diameter. 
    Bayrunner -- FV312 - Simple Pleasure
    Mine is approx 16" long and 2" PVC
    Thanks Diggin
    Forgot to ask do you disconnect top vent hose from holding tank and connect filter there and a small hose to connect to holding tank.
  • NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Pensacola, FLPosts: 303Member ✭✭✭
    FYI: I had to make a trip to Lowes to get connections to hook up the Big Orange filter.  It was easy after that.
    Bayrunner- Sorry, just got back from the boat... My filter is in the middle of the vent line. When I went to install it, there was (2) 3/4" female hose fittings with a 3/4" nipple between/connecting them. So I think I am safe in assuming that the previous owner had a filter installed at one time. When I made my filter I installed a 3/4" male fitting at both ends... Simply screwed it on and VIOLA - no stinky! 
         I'm not exactly sure how long the factory vent line is, so you MIGHT have to add some.
    Thanks Diggin I will install one over the weekend.
    i removed my hot water tank at the same time i installed my filter and i used the drain hose from the hot water tank. i removed the existing hose from the top of the tank, attached it to one end of my filter, the other length of hose was about 30'' and everything worked great!

• JohnCostellloJohnCostelllo Posts: 46Member
    Is the charcoal in a nylon sock or just in the pipe?