A useful mod installed by several RBOC members is a spring hatch support to hold the trash can lid at the cockpit wet bar. It's a great mod that is cheap and easy to install, so I thought I'd post details.
Kudos to @DanD2
;and others who showed me how to do it in this thread:
There are several hatch supports that will fit. This is what I used -- $17 at GLS:
It's important to get the mount locations right. You need to leave room for the spring to fold when you close the lid. Otherwise, the spring will get kinked, which makes it useless. See the measurements in the photos. The way it's shown here, the spring can bend inward or outward and there's no interference.
Time to install: 30 minutes
Level of difficulty: Beginner
1) After you buy the hatch support, measure everything carefully so you can get screws that are the right diameter and length. The screws should not penetrate all the way through the lid. Use only stainless steel screws.
2) Mark the screw locations on the lid, and pre-drill using a drill bit slightly smaller than the screw diameter. Do not drill all the way through the lid! Suggestion: put a piece of tape on the drill bit at the right depth, and stop drilling when the tape touches the lid.
3) Apply a small amount of 3M 5200 marine adhesive in the screw holes, on the upper spring mount, and on the tips of the screws. Then attach the upper spring mount to the lid.
4) Mark the screw locations for the lower mount. Pre-drill the holes. Then attach the lower mount (no adhesive needed).
5) Next, you will need to throw something in the trash so you can admire your work. The right tool for this job is an empty beer bottle, so open a beer and drink it, then throw it in the trash. If unsure, repeat several times. Just to be safe, ask your friends to try it with different brands of beer bottles.