Horrible start to the season!!!

diggin2day1diggin2day1 Long Island, NYPosts: 920Member ✭✭✭
This is not what you want to see on the first run of the season immediately after launching the boat:  Had the boat hauled to my local launch ramp so I could take her for a spin and put her in my slip.... No such luck. After the hauling company put her in the water and drove away, I finished loading my gear. Jumped in the boat, opened the seacock and tried to start her up. She cranked over a bit then slowed and stopped(almost like battery was dead), so I flipped the switch to combine batteries and tried again... She slowly cranked and then heard a grind and a clank? Kind of sounded like when you try to start a car that is already running. Hoping it's just a bad starter, but that clank really has me worried. I called SeaTow and had them tow me around to my slip so the mechanic can take a look at her Monday. 
Also noticed a leak from the blue plug on the lower water distribution housing... I'm sure that will need replacement as well (easy $200 for part, doesn't look too hard to change/access). They list 3 part numbers and have to figure out which one I need.... UGH!!! 

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Long Island, NYPosts: 1,414Member ✭✭✭✭
    Diggin good luck, hopefully it's just the starter. Looks like you launched at Corey Creek. My slip is over to the left on that last dock in your pic.
  • shawnmjrshawnmjr Detroit MIPosts: 744Member ✭✭✭
    I feel your pain. Hopefully it is just a starter and you can start your season. Best of luck to you
  • chamberbchamberb Saint Albans, VTPosts: 260Member ✭✭✭
    Aww Diggin that sucks! I hope it is something easy, no chance something froze this winter? The noise and blue plug have me concerned, again, I hope it is something straight forward... Good luck!!
    Did you run it on muffs before you launched it?
  • youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer St Charles Mo. Eagles LandingPosts: 246Member ✭✭✭
    There are worse that can happen the first time out.   Once had an engine overheat to the point the paint melted on the side of the engine.   
  • diggin2day1diggin2day1 Long Island, NYPosts: 920Member ✭✭✭
    Had it running (3 separate occasions) before I launched... Actually ran it 4 days ago for about 20 minutes off the hose(I have a South Bay Strainer). The anticipation of not knowing what it is kills me... 
  • MarkBMarkB OntarioPosts: 2,995Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    My friends boat went in. They started it and fuel pump failed. Wire harness ignited and damaged a whole lot of wiring.  He's not happy.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

edited May 2016
    If it makes you feel any better, I have the same pic from when my prop hub failed on us half way to Kismet from Wantagh a couple of seasons ago.

I have TWO similar pics from last season... One ran out of gas, the other an outdrive. 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Cape Coral, FLPosts: 5,374Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never happen with diesels, just sayin.
  • randy56randy56 Newburgh INPosts: 1,802Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hate hear it diggin, keep us posted, since you had it running allready, How many hours on your boat?
    Boat Name : Knot My Prolem

2003 - 270
    Thanks Randy... Approx 700 hrs
  • raybo3raybo3 Revere MAPosts: 3,361Moderator mod
    Good luck bro hopefully its nothing big. Keep us posted.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org
  • earl1z19earl1z19 Posts: 33Member ✭✭
    Sure hope it didn't Hydro-Lock after having some water push past the risers when they put it in the water. Good luck
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Annapolis, MDPosts: 3,887Member, Moderator mod
    Good luck Diggin'.  I had that terrible clunk sound on take off last fall.  I now have a new outdrive.  Hoping to hear some good news from you!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Mystic, CTPosts: 921Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016

Any water in the oil?

No water in oil... Heading down to marina now to speak with mechanic... 
  • rasburyrasbury Sanford, FLPosts: 3,738Member ✭✭✭✭
    dang, as I recall you have had some issues getting this far....sorry man, good luck
  • jme097jme097 Algonac, MIPosts: 1,078Member ✭✭✭
    ****. Hoping nothing too bad!
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
    Yes, had to replace the bravo 3 in August.... Did a ton of work to her all winter long and now this!! I spoke with the mechanic today, handed him the keys and went home. The anticipation is tearing me to shreds!!!
    Just got back from the marina and she's purring like a kitten... Water must've gotten in through the exhaust when the boat was being launched. Mechanic said he drained the block, spun it a few times by hand, then started her up. He ran it for about 20 minutes with no issues. He says it happens sometimes with my type of exhaust/risers/etc(pretty sure previous owner put upgraded exhaust on the boat).  I have not taken her for a spin yet due to horrible weather, but will soon. And the best part is.... When I called him earlier I said "I'll be down to square-up with you in an hour"... His reply: "bring donuts and we're even". I am having him replace the lower water distribution housing and serpentine belt now.... So thankful that this wasn't worse!! Now bring on the warm weather!!!
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Pawcatuck river CTPosts: 1,049Member ✭✭✭
    Exhaust flaps??may not on the up grade exhaust.mine are cooked from over heating last year.I have change be for I launch.but glad to here it all went well.
    2005 Rinker FV342  boat name "Ten Forty"  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • shawnmjrshawnmjr Detroit MIPosts: 744Member ✭✭✭
    Great news @diggin2day1
    Nice to have good mechanics like that
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Annapolis, MDPosts: 3,887Member, Moderator mod
    That is really great news!!!!!!  :) :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• zaverin1zaverin1 Saint Clair Shores,MIPosts: 803Member ✭✭✭
    Yes have him check exhaust flaps 
    if they are missing or bad it will happen again.
    i had a guy last year loose his star engine due to bad flaps
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Cape Coral, FLPosts: 5,374Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better show up with doughnuts.
    Also a quick sign that flaps are going bad is 
    they will start making a ticking noise.
    almost like a valve or spark knock noise.
    this means rubber is wore out and now it's metal on metal. Water Seal is also bad at this point. Sometimes they just fall off and make no noise. So it's a good idea to check them
    Handy- done!
    Zaverin- Now I'm not too sure about this, but are flaps ALWAYS used? The previous owner of my boat installed stainless risers/manifolds and performance exhaust.... Does that make a difference? I'm still learning this stuff!!

Is it thru hull or thru prop?
    flaps are located in the y pipe which is cast iron.