"Dummy" power steering pump.

icoulthaicoultha Niskayuna NYPosts: 503Member ✭✭✭
Greetings,

2003 FV310 twin 5.0 Mercruisers. It seems that while I understood there in only one power steering pump in operation - the one on the starboard engine - steering the outdrives, I was under the impression that the one on the port engine was a dummy, not actually a pump but an assembly that kept the same belt etc. Apparently untrue, it is a pump and in fact has piping routed out and back and needs fluid but does nothing. Till there is a leak and the pump burns out.

Seems pointless putting on a new pump to do nothing. Yes, I could put a new one on starboard and it on port, but don't really want to futz with both if I don;t have to. Has anyone come across a kit or solution to simply put a pulley there in place so the belt is kept under tension and the standard belt?

Thanks, Ian

Regards,

Ian

Comments

• blutobluto Posts: 25Member ✭✭

You need a "P.S. delete kit". Basically it's a pulley on a bracket. Look at Jegs or Summit Racing. Your local speed shop should be able to help.

• Handymans342Handymans342 Cape Coral, FLPosts: 6,391Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    My pump had a separate belt so I just removed it. 
  • icoulthaicoultha Niskayuna NYPosts: 503Member ✭✭✭
    Bluto - any other ideas of where to get this?

Regards,

Ian

• AlswaggAlswagg Posts: 2,138Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me look. I bet I have a good used pump.  
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Holland, MichiganPosts: 4,216Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keeping the pump has a few benefits too: same belt for both engines, same 'power' from each engine (losses from running pump..not that much on that engine). PS pumps are extremely reliable devices. Rare to go bad. 

2003 342FV "Black Diamond", 350 MAG MPI, 20P 4x4 Props, PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Don't mind keeping the pump but for the cost

Regards,

Ian

Still can't find a delete kit, any ideas anyone?

Regards,

Ian