Adding gauges to a Kohler 5K

StodgeStodge Lake St. ClairPosts: 1,380Member ✭✭✭
Can I use general purpose water temp and oil pressure gauges on my Kohler 5K generator?  I think those would be handy things to have on the genny.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• StodgeStodge Lake St. ClairPosts: 1,380Member ✭✭✭
    According to what I've been able to find on-line, there are accessory gauges that can be added.  There are senders for telling the genny to shut down when the heat it too high or oil is too low.  

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Annapolis, MDPosts: 3,887Member, Moderator mod

Depending on the genny age, you may already have them with smartcraft capability.  I know mine has it and had thought about connecting it in to my current vesselview (which has the display capability already for the generator).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Holland, MichiganPosts: 4,018Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    I looked into this, the gage set for the 5e is no longer available (per Kohler).  You could add in your own temp gage easily enough (see Drews note).  The oil pressure is tied into the controls so might be a bit messier to deal with that.

2003 342FV "Black Diamond", 350 MAG MPI, 20P 4x4 Props, PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • StodgeStodge Lake St. ClairPosts: 1,380Member ✭✭✭
    I'm curious if the senders are present and I can just add a gauge.

DI it's a 2002, so I'd be surprised if it was smart.  I have been looking at adding a smartcraft to NMEA 2000 gateway to feed to my HDS5.

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Holland, MichiganPosts: 4,018Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a coolant over temp and oil pressure sending unit: both wire into the genset controls.  I am not sure if you can also tap off the lead and run to a gauge but not upset the controller too.

2003 342FV "Black Diamond", 350 MAG MPI, 20P 4x4 Props, PC BYC, Holland, MI