Blue plastic water plugs for draining cooling system

skidrowskidrow Holland River, OntarioPosts: 36Member ✭✭
I have an old brittle blue plastic plug that has the "T" part broken off"... No where to grip the plug to unscrew it.... Anybody have any ideas how to unscrew it?
·

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Long Island, NYPosts: 471Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    You can use an easy out http://www.amazon.com/pcs-Easy-Out-Set-TAIE0739/dp/B0027B5GT0/ref=pd_sim_hi_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0NPP64PNB5NV0NCW63BP Or if it's brittle enough can you break it apart?
    Post edited by aero3113 on
    ·
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Annapolis, MDPosts: 1,708Member, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    I've had that happen and just drilled out the plug. If you do it carefully and the right size bit, it is pretty simple.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

·
  • rinker312rinker312 Lake Wheeler, ALPosts: 254Member ✭✭
    Why drain it? I've personally never removed mine. Just wondering.

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

·
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 900Member ✭✭✭
    I used an easy out to get a broken one out.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA
    Go Steelers!!!
    ·
  • skidrowskidrow Holland River, OntarioPosts: 36Member ✭✭
    I'll try drilling it out...thanks.
    ·
  • BabyboomerBabyboomer Louisville KyPosts: 916Member, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Drive a Phillips screwdriver in and take it out I put new plugs in every 2 years 

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
    ·
    Tried to drill it out...pulled out most of it until it crumbled Out....now all of it is stuck in the thread with nothing to grab on to... All flush to the hole... Going to get a tap for the same size thread and try that...
    ·
    I'm just wondering. Why do you all take those plugs out. Do you winterize by draining the block with them?

·
  • youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer St Charles Mo. Eagles LandingPosts: 97Member ✭✭
    get an easy out the size you need (aka reverse drillbit). once the remains are out of the hole, get the brass plugs and never have to worry about that again
    ·
  • BabyboomerBabyboomer Louisville KyPosts: 916Member, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    There is an insert in the block Merc went to plastic plugs to stop the seize of the brass plugs 

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
    ·
    I tried to drill it out, but it was so brittle just the threads remained in the block...tried to use a dremel, Torch, muriatic acid...nothing worked....had to remove the whole thermostat assembly as I Could not get a tap into it....finally got a tap into it to remove the plastic from the threads..while I Had it out I also changed up the thermostat....so now I will replace them every few years.... Only wasted about 5 hours.....Murphy's law..
    ·
  • EaglesNestEaglesNest Posts: 28Member ✭✭
    rinker312 - The answer is yes.  I do pull all 4 blue plugs to drain fresh water out before I add antifreeze when winterizing.  Word of advice.  don't over tighten the bottom right plug.  The housing is made out of plastic and breaks easy.  Just ask Dream_Inn.  I replaced all 8 of my plugs last year b/c they wear over time.  The gaskets disappear.  Not to mention, it is possible the cheapest part on my boat.
    ·
    Ok thanks I figured that is what they were there for. I always winterize by warming the engine then running antifreeze through it while running. I've never had any issues even when I was in the northeast. Saves me from messing with those plugs.

·
  • aero3113aero3113 Long Island, NYPosts: 471Member ✭✭✭
    rinker312 said:
    Ok thanks I figured that is what they were there for. I always winterize by warming the engine then running antifreeze through it while running. I've never had any issues even when I was in the northeast. Saves me from messing with those plugs.

That's how I winterize my boat
    ·