342 Stereo systems

Banned2Banned2 Posts: 2,567Member ✭✭✭✭
2003 342 FV: I have the Kenwood Amp, AM/FM stereo with 6 disc CD changer and 2 Kenwood remotes. The amp would not come on so I sent it to Kenwood for repair. They re-soldered some cold joints. Works great now. Now the remotes do not work and I have read allot that they go bad. Has anyone changed them out with a another Kenwood remote? 
·

Comments

• Huff310Huff310 Posts: 14Member
    The remotes on my boat were obsolete so I had to change the whole system.
    ·
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Holland, MichiganPosts: 2,311Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure they are changeable.  I keep waffling here to change my old (OEM) system so I can plug in an ipod, so need to change the head unit, remotes, ideally use the amp, maybe the CD changer.  Winter project.  Although it seems like winter here already. :P

2003 342FV "Black Diamond", PC BYC, Holland, MI
    ·
  • LaReaLaRea Alexandria VirginiaPosts: 345Member ✭✭✭
    I got an auxiliary input for the Kenwood.  It's an interface cable that plugs into the plug normally used by the CD changer.  It disables the CD changer, but I play all music from my phone anyway.  

I wired a 1/8" stereo plug at the helm, and it works great.  If I was going to do it again now, I would go with a bluetooth interface instead of a cable.  
    ·
  • Banned2Banned2 Posts: 2,567Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well I worked on them tonight. I did not have 12 volts at the remotes. After I got home online I downloaded a wiring diagram for the new Kenwood remotes. KCA-RC35MR. The wiring diagram says the 12 volts is from the ignition. I will have to go back and run motors and check voltage. I remember my dash remote worked for the V berth speakers before I took out the Amp for repairs. I believe the new remotes will work as the wiring is the same IF the old ones are bad. B_D, im not changing out my system and do not have any Apple products! I have a ton of CDs and my wife loves talking books on cassette! LOL

Anyone have an old wiring diagram from the old remotes? KCA-RC900MR?????
    ·
    Raybo3 said he just spliced in a new remote but didnt give any specs on the new remote.
    ·
    Kenwood will not say if the new remotes will work with the old system as they want you to buy new stuff!
    ·
    Ok, just got off the phone with Kenwood tech and he said the KCA-RC35MR will replace any old remote out there! So everyone, start changing!!!
    ·
  • WeberWeber Posts: 127Member ✭✭✭
    I changed my system to a Sony system that has Bluetooth. I can play from my I tunes on my phone or ipad. I also change one of the remotes out.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
    ·
  • explore7425explore7425 Newark, DEPosts: 101Member ✭✭✭
    I had a 342 for a couple of years with that system. The remotes always acted funny. They worked good while out with the motor running but the one at the helm would not work on shore power. It was weird and I never did find out what was going on. I did change the head unit with a modern Kenwood and that made things a lot better but sometimes I still lost function. My new boat has the Clarion CMD6 with all modern remotes. It is far superior. I am really happy with it. All the remotes are full function with a good LCD display and they all have IR function so you can use your remote control anywhere on the boat. I also have Bluetooth but I don't really use it because only my cell phone has that function and it really sucks when I get texts and phone calls and it interrupts. I also have a radio frequency water proof floating remote that can be used a fair distance from the boat. Clarion has a lot to offer in Marine equipment.
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
    ·
  • trich11trich11 Posts: 108Member ✭✭✭
    BD, I use a wireless iPod dock at my helm 12v plug in with my original system. Works great.
    ·
    @Trich11: I'd be up for that, was it from Kenwood?

·
    No. Just an after market device available places like Best Buy, etc. You tune your radio to a un used station and match the iPod dock and instant music! Sound is pretty decent too. When I get to boat later I will get the make and model for you.
    ·
    It's called a Roadtrip by Griffin.
    ·
    Thanks!

·
    image      Works great!
    ·
    Here is a better picture of the Kenwood remote.
    Remote.jpg 15.8K
    ·
  • MaverickMaverick Posts: 11Member

I tried to install my new KCA-RC35MR to replace the KCA-RC900MR but the wiring colors on the new remote are different to the old one. How did you know which wire goes where and did you just splice into the white junction connector?

·

I got tech service at Kenwood. There is only one wire that was diff color. The rest match. So splice the 2 diff colors together, the rest match. It will work.

·
  • MaverickMaverick Posts: 11Member

Great! Thanks I'll try that.

·
  • dropoutdropout Lake St. ClairPosts: 51Member ✭✭

Im also looking to replace my stereo remotes with the Kenwood KCA-RC35MR. Anyone know what the wiring instalation is in order to wire two of them?
    ·
    dropout, how many do you have now?
    ·
  • dropoutdropout Lake St. ClairPosts: 51Member ✭✭

I have Two Sony RM-X10 remotes today. They have some goofy aftermarket wiring harness on them. I was going to use those wires to wire in the Kenwoods instead of running new ones.
    ·
  • JoeStangJoeStang Metro DetroitPosts: 472Member ✭✭✭

The Sony stuff uses the "Unilink" connector for displaying & controlling the audio & visual of the remotes. Its really designed to work with a Sony headunit, so if you're trying to use the remotes with a different brand headunit you'll need to find some kind of converter box I'd bet.

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
    ·
    Yeah, you needed to stick with the Kenwood remotes, sorry
    ·
  • tkrfxrtkrfxr New Rochelle, NYPosts: 54Member

My SONY system works great but I want to upgrade to a SONY with BlueTooth so I can play from the ipod or cell phones....

Which unit is compatible with the CD-changer and remotes?

"All things are ready if our minds be so"
    -W.Shakespeare/Henry V Rinker 2005 342FV T5.7OSXi-DF/OceanX(DPS-B)
    ·