Faria tachometers

frenchshipfrenchship Québec ,CanadaPosts: 603Member ✭✭✭
Do somebody know where the tachs get there signals from on a Rinker 300 2007 5.0 ? (Ignition coils, sensor on crankshafts, ??)
·

Comments

• 212rowboat212rowboat Posts: 1,333Member ✭✭✭✭
    If carb'd engine, the gray ignition module wire.. if mpi, the pcm.
    ·
  • frenchshipfrenchship Québec ,CanadaPosts: 603Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for Infos PCM it is, both tachs fluctuate a lot so I start with the wiring from the tachs. Thanks Paul
    ·
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Holland, MichiganPosts: 2,446Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is probably bad tachs, not the wiring.

2003 342FV "Black Diamond", PC BYC, Holland, MI
    ·
  • trich11trich11 Posts: 108Member ✭✭✭
    If you search the site you will find many, many issues with Faria tachs. Lots of people with issues. I believe you can go to Faria and for a low cost they will "rehab" your tachs for you.
    ·
  • cmelt2003cmelt2003 Spring Lake, MIPosts: 16Member
    Or just give them a tap now and then and they will go back to normal.... for a while.
    ·

It is probably bad tachs, not the wiring.

Agreed.. I just payed faria $150 to fix mine.. took them a couple of weeks.

·
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Sarasota, FlPosts: 1,431Member ✭✭✭✭
    Preferring reliability over being a perfect matching set, along with the fact that I didnt feel $150 was a reasonable refurb cost for a tach with such a poor history. I just replaced mine with a teledyne. Not the same colored faceplate but far more reliable and it was only $40 brand new from my local marine surplus. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
    ·
    Fully agree with Mr. Mike Hut Jr... :-D
    ·
    I would agree but my hour meters are in the tachs and I would like to maintain that information without "adding the new count to the old count"
    ·
    Well... I sounded a false alarm on my thread about the hour meter on my tach... It came back zeroed...
    ·
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Sarasota, FlPosts: 1,431Member ✭✭✭✭
    The update on the hr meter was tempting. Sorry it didnt happen. Somebody had a theory on getting it reset to current hrs but it was a few weeks ago.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
    ·
  • frenchshipfrenchship Québec ,CanadaPosts: 603Member ✭✭✭
    Hi, Thanks for all the Infos, anybody know where I can get a good quality dual tack in the same gauge for replacement of the Faria one
    image.jpg 1.4M
    ·

Twinscan would be one, I have one installed in my 342.

http://www.floscan.com/html/blue/recreationalmarine.php

·
    BD, What did you put in the other tach hole after you switched to the dual tach?
    ·
    edited July 2013
    I put in the flowscan dual flow meter gage, saved the outer trim ring from the original gage, made a filler of plastic since the new gages are a bit smaller in diameter.  Bolted right in.
    Post edited by Black_Diamond on
    dash1-1.jpg 128.4K

·
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Mystic, CTPosts: 283Member ✭✭✭
    BD, do you have fuel flow setup and gph setup. How was the wiring. My farias are done and I was considering doing the twinscan tach and gph gauges on my 360. It looks like I would be into it for around a grand, where if I went Mercmonitors it would be over 2 grand for a Level 3 and a level 1 monitor.
    ·
    I do have both. It's not too bad actually, key is putting the flow monitors in the right position. I could grab a few pics if you want.

·
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Mystic, CTPosts: 283Member ✭✭✭
    That would be much appreciated!
    ·
  • Michael TMichael T Posts: 1,855Member ✭✭✭✭
    BD - nice install - real professional! MT
    ·
  • SerenitySerenity Long Island, New YorkPosts: 117Member ✭✭
    Black_Diamond-How was the installation? Is this something I can do myself and is there any calibration involved? I assume I would have to tap into the fuel lines-does FloScan include all that is needed with good instructions.
    ·
  • explore7425explore7425 Newark, DEPosts: 149Member ✭✭✭
    I thought Faria carried  a lifetime warranty. 
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
    ·
    it is actually pretty straight forward to install.  I'll try to get some pics of the flow monitors for you.  Instructions are good and simple install into the fuel lines.  I'm more than happy with them, I know how much I have used, how far I can go, and how much to fill up!  Plus you get mpg read out if you want too.

·
  • SerenitySerenity Long Island, New YorkPosts: 117Member ✭✭
    Yes Faria does have a lifetime warranty but you do have to pay-I paid $125 plus shipping this past winter. Now I will have to do it again if I keep the tachs. Thank you Black_Diamond. I am really considering it. Merc also has their version which seems very interesting as well. I will have to research more.
    ·
  • JoeStangJoeStang Metro DetroitPosts: 542Member ✭✭✭
    Ok, so if you have to pay WTF does the lifetime warranty even cover?
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
    ·
    jtkz13 said:
    Ok, so if you have to pay WTF does the lifetime warranty even cover?
    agreed...

I'm $150 lighter after getting them to 'fix' mine, which they simply replaced...

these dang things aren't cutting edge technology.. they are simple analog gauges, that in all essence measure vdc and register it with a needle over a raster of numbers that coincide with engine speed.... they break because Faria chooses to use inferior construction components, yet they still charge a premium...

personally, I'm done with them.. while researching other options whilst I waited for the tach to return (it took about two weeks), I found that I could have swapped the entire gauge collection for around $250 with decent looking and functional gauges.... instead, I paid Faria $150 to fix a tach that shouldn't have broke in the first place... I know, it's only $150... but there are principles, Smokey, PRINCIPALITIES!!! :-)

·
    Yeah when/if mine start to go I'll def consider the Mercmonitor or Vesselview if theres any cost involved.

Why did you have to pay anything other than shipping if they have a lifetime warranty?
    ·
  • BabyboomerBabyboomer Louisville KyPosts: 916Member, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    jtkz13 said:
    Yeah when/if mine start to go I'll def consider the Mercmonitor or Vesselview if theres any cost involved.

Why did you have to pay anything other than shipping if they have a lifetime warranty?
    Good question i've had 2 tachs go bad and it cost different both times

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
    ·
  • Robyw1Robyw1 Cypress TXPosts: 53Member ✭✭
    The only true cure for Faria gauges.
    image.jpg 2.3M
    ·
    Dare I ask what the size of the loan was for that setup?? Looks freakin awesome.
    ·
  • Robyw1Robyw1 Cypress TXPosts: 53Member ✭✭
    I try not to dwell on the numbers, makes it easier to live with. :-)
    ·